Saturday, June 25, 2011

 

Armed Forces Day at Littlehampton

Yes, we went to Ford and bought things.
But that was a small part of our day out.

We spent the rest of the day in Littlehampton - a very different Littlehampton than we are accustomed to.
It has been Armed Forces Day and Littlehampton put on a show.
I still have such ambivalent feelings about the armed forces. I was brought up to think that anything coming close to appreciation of the services was akin to the glorification of war.
I still would hate to be associated with anything that glorifies war.
I fear that the Help the Heroes charity is a way of manipulating our emotions into feeling positive about the war in Afghanistan. But there is no doubt that people who have served there often do need extra help.
My contact with service personnel leads me to believe they are much less judgemental than maybe the politicians and the media. I admire them for their even handedness in situations that most of us don't ever really conme to terms with.
Having said all that, I was was just wanting to enjoy my day in Littlehampton and to experience being involved in the world of other people for a short while.

An old soldier reflects.

I must point out that the big Union Jack flags which appear in some of the photos fly all the time over the Littlehampton fun fair, but they were useful photographic props.












The day began with a drum head service of remembrance - the last post, minutes silence, prayers and hymns and "They shall not grow old as we grow old....."

The Littlehampton Carnival princesses were taking part.
 









































Now that is a real boy's toy on the left. There were lots of remote controlled vehicles all manned with Action Men.
I called the picture on the right "Today we had naming of parts" - there is a very powerful poem of that name.

Now for some portraits......









And now helicopters....
The Chinook flew by, over the sea. The Lynx was on the ground.

Children loved the day.....


I just love this picture!



























We spent a little while with the pipes and drums as they were warming up.
I was told that their tartan is Clan Ancient MacClean Jura.



There was a display of gun vehicles in the arena - it was explained about how range and direction can be monitored.

We got talking with a group of young women dressed as WW2 WRAC girls.


The middle woman is the mother of the little girl in the beret.


































Then the pipes and drums entered the arena.



The VIPs had the best view......


It was only early afternoon - but we were tired.
We had been out since 7 o'clock this morning and on our feet for much of the time.
So we missed later events.

On our way back to the car, I suddenly demanded that Bill buy me some tombola tickets, because I wanted a box of fruit; not a tin of fruit, but a box!
Bill paid up - and I then had to carry my box of fruit.
I just knew that the fruit would be mine!

We came home and relaxed.
There was a great tennis match.
And Coldplay, live from Glastonbury are just superb.

Labels: