Tuesday, June 28, 2011

 

Tuesday thunder - and lightning.

The big question of the day was "When would the big thunderstorm arrive?"
The morning stayed clear.
This gave Bill time to mow lawns and to tidy up some small parts of Frieda's garden.
I enjoyed a walk to the post office.
The storm arrived at about 2 o'clock.
There was not a lot of rain in Crawley - but a lot of storm.
The control tower at Gatwick was hit by lightening and so was a house in Maidenbower.
The house belongs to a friend of a friend.....almost a personal loss then!!!
There was more rain at Wimbledon - only 30 miles away.
The Centre Court now has a roof - and how the rain did beat upon it.

There has been more train chaos today - and this time I understand the reasons.
A train was hit by lightning leaving the train behind it, stranded in Balcombe tunnel for 2 hours.

This afternoon I described some books and listed them on EBay.

This evening I have sat on my familiar chair on the timekeeper's stand.
This meeting was in the series of Sussex Under 13s League.
It is a lovely meeting - full of great enthusiasm, support and good competition.
The rain stayed away - though the atmosphere was slightly eerie, a misty dampness hang over the track and the air was very still.
For a while it seemed like Bill and I might have been in charge of the timekeeping between us - but fortunately we were joined by "Alf Garnett".
The small number gave me more opportunity to get to know Worthing David.
He is an exceedingly good timekeeper, but is not the sort to want to take exams and climb the timekeeping ladder; his time in education taught him to avoid such things.
He is a bit anti education, wondering how it benefits people..
I think I can say all this safely because he has no computer - and is proud of being completely technophobic.
Like Alf Garnett he has fixed political views - of the right leaning kind.
I thought of him as Alf when he spoke of his step daughter who he has fallen out with..... because her partner holds left wing views.
Reminded me of Alf G and the spats he had with his son in law in Til Death us Do Part.
At another point we were mentioning food - curry; he wouldn't eat it because its foreign. I bet he does have a wide variety of things imported from abroad passing through his lips, but the idea of eating foreign food was not to be considered.
I wonder what he thinks of me!
But conversation and banter on the timekeeping steps stays very lighthearted and friendly, despite the many differing backgrounds we all come from.

I wonder who will be in my team next time - Saturday afternoon.