Sunday, May 15, 2011

 

Day 2 of the county championships.

There was no Pease Pottage boot sale for me this morning.
Having had severe cramp during yesterday evening, I got severe severe cramp during the night....pain always seems worse in the middle of the night.
I was quite disturbed and my legs remained achy.
I decided it would be wise to give my body a rest.

We got to the track about 10 o'clock. The weather was bright and breezy - rather like yesterday.
My first photographs look back to yesterday and were mostly taken by Bill.

The Saturday team of timekeepers.















Looking across to the polevaulters warming up for their event.

Bill took a few views round the track for Mandy, the chief groundsperson.














Ready for the first event, the 400 metre hurdles.

This was Jamie's event in his mid to late teens.





















Pole vaulters queue up to check their run ups.
The timekeepers steps are just beyond.














I took some pictures today.
It was a very different sort of day for me. For the first time this year I was not the chief timekeeper.
I was taking position 4 with Graham J.
We had a lovely day working - and talking together lots.
Later in the day it began to feel quite chilly and I was losing concentration and was looking forward to the end when no more athletes would be running and needing their times.
I also enjoyed talking with some old friends.
Brian Brewster was there - he has 2 sons, about the same age as Jamie and Ashley, who joined the athletics club. Brian, did as many parents do, and voluntereed to help and was a well respected coach.
I wondered why he was there.
He was with his son, Neil. Together they were there to support Neil's daughter, Jade who was gold medallist in the pole vault.
Neil had been in a class I taught many years ago - over 30 years.
Another I was glad to chat to was Louise - who had been in a class I taught at Robert May School.
She is now Mrs Vince Golding and mother of Ben, who won a second gold medal today.
I am sure Jamie will remember these names.

This is actually Saturday - later in the day, when we needed jackets.
My seat is the one with the cushion on.
Yes I take my own cushion - and my own china mug for the many cups of tea I enjoy.


Mike Carrington - President of the Sussex Athletics Association, waiting to present medals.








Some medallists, including Jade Brewster, who I mentioned earlier.

The family were always special. And Jade's grandmother was (still is) a nurse at the hospice when I was receiving care there. She bought a brooch for me, which I still wear on one of my hats.













Mandy - the head groundsperson. The care of the track is her life and she works so hard and with great pride because she knows she does it well, even if not always appreciated by the Sports Centre indoor staff.















Timekeeper Dennis.
He was once seen as one of la creme de la creme of timekeepers and was always seen in high places.
His priorities have changed these days.
I was very glad to have him working with me yesterday.












View across the track as a 1500 metre race is under way.











Tony Starter waits for the allotted start time for an event.


There are a few more pictures on facebook - but the blog gets more words.
Take your pick!