Tuesday, May 10, 2011

 

Loft memories and mushrooms

I had a pleasant 5 minutes with Dr Oliver this morning.
The most recent blood tests showed calcium and vitamin D to be at a very good level.
He could only comment on the condition that affects my hands in a very general way. He didn't think the skin looked in anyway damaged. So we just put it down to a nameless neuropathy.
He thought I looked really well.
And on a good day I feel really well - sunshine and warmth certainly raise my health levels; along with my many and various tablets and potions.
It is Bill's turn to see him next week.

I wanted some veg to make a turkey and cashew nut stir fry today, using up Sunday's meat. The packs of stir fry veg are ideal for this.
Of course we bought more - I cannot resist some items which have been dumped in the reduced section.
And I was entranced to find enoki mushrooms - at least thats what the label said. I had never known a name before. That's because Mam would have only known a Thai name I expect.

They look so beautiful and the taste is so delicate.

This afternoon Bill has been working like a Trojan.
He has almost cleared the loft of a lifetime of items pushed up there because we felt we shouldn't get rid of them, but on the other hand knew we would never use.
He has been up and down the ladder with heavy boxes. I have hardly looked in the spare front bedroom.
We know there is a lot to go through.
But the likelihood is that very little will go back in the loft after the insulation has been done.

I found a box of things that Jamie had created - some school books which will be taken to Thailand and various items of art work.


If Jamie did this unaided, aged 5 years old then I shall have to assume that some of Jessica and John's art ability came from their father.
It is a view from the front of the house and very accurate. It looks like he had the paper down on rough paving stones.

Jamie was not the only artist at work.

I had completely forgotten this. I can recall doing it, but I cannot remember where I found the razor shells.
I also photographed pictures which we had bought and Bill framed.
They are screen prints by Victoria Gillick. We bought them in St Ives (Huntingdonshire, not Cornwall).

















The cockerel, in particular, is badly damaged now. The lyre birds was my favourite.
But these pictures are from my past. It was a good past, but I am intent on letting it go and living fully in the present. Other pictures have replaced our first adventures in art.