Saturday, May 21, 2011

 

Saturday - with some disappointment.

Disappointing!
The weather, I mean....but that led to a general feeling of malaise and disappointment.
Most people in these parts might wonder why we feel the weather let us down - lots of lovely sunshine we were promised and most people got.
But the people of Ford and Littlehampton didn't get it this morning.
We saw the sun on the journey down - burning off the cloud and mist.
Optimistically I started off round the boot sale in my thin cardigan. It wasn't enough.
The cloud and mist lingered - not even the wind could clear it.
Optimism faded and it felt hard to buy.
I am very pleased with a lovely old wooden kitchen cutlery tray. They sell well. The wood has a real beauty about it.
I have little else that fills me with great optimism.
I saw a lovely conical piece of art glass - but there was no profit or joy for me in it at £120. Silly seller!

We breakfasted at Wetherspoons - just had an idea that it would feel warmer in there than the Balaton.
We met people we know there.
There is one very neatly dressed gentleman who sits with his lap top, whenever we are there (Thursday or Saturday). He has  a couple of pints as he does whatever he does.
Another friendly fairly elderly couple are there each Saturday and meet another couple. We were told ages ago that one of the husband's has dementia. This morning we both thought he was less in control of the situation than a few months ago. Very sad!
But goodness I was listening to an interview on the radio last night with a woman who had had "locked in syndrome" for about 4 months after a stroke.
She was totally paralysed, except for eyelids; but she had all her faculties of mind and could see with those eyes and hear with her ears. She was in much pain. Imagine such an awful situation.
After breakfast we walked round to the river - but hadn't the will for exploring. It looked eerily misty still - and cold.

This afternoon I failed to do much on my things to do list.
I want to photograph, describe and list rulers - EBay have a free listing weekend and the beautiful tailor's ruler should be started off at a highish price - maybe about £25.

We did spend some time with Jamie, Jessica and John. Frustrating computers let us down! We couldn't get our video link working- but were able to see and hear them for a while.
Until Jamie's lap top and his video link crashed.
But we had long enough for Jessica and John to sing Happy Birthday to their Grandad and for John to show us his lego and for Jessica to show us an article in the Phuket News about Jamie. She is very proud of her famous father!

Then we all watched a little film together on You Tube about Panyee - the island village that we have visited a few times.
Have a look - see the magnificent scenery and how the people live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU4oA3kkAWU

And, as I write, I look out upon a cloudless blue sky. It is has been quite warm and sunny all day here.
Should have stayed home!

I have now put some photos of Standen on the blog.
I have started with some internal shots first.
I hope the lay out is not too bad on your computer. I have a wide screen which may allow for a different lay out than is seen on some other screens.
Scroll down and find them
Next will come photos of the outside of the house and the grounds.