Saturday, May 28, 2011

 

The old railway line at West Grinstead.

I am missing the summer so much.
I hope it is not gone for long.
It was really cold down at Ford this morning - just as well I bough 2 pairs of brand new socks!

I also bought 2 dolls and some interesting other things. I will photograph them tomorrow.
We decided that it was too cold for a beach walk today and headed inland.
I have a friend who told me she meets up with her brother for lunch sometimes at Camelia Botnar. I wondered what it is. The web site tells me of a mansion devoted to giving disadvantaged people chances to learn crafts etc and where there is a bistro cafe. Camelia Botnar was a real and beautiful young girl, killed in a car accident. Her father established the place in her memory.
We didn't see the mansion - we saw a nursery and a fairly characterless cafe. The offer advertised on the website was not actually in operation and we decided not to stay there.
We drove back to The Orchards. We have had breakfast there before.....but oh dear me, the price has gone up.
Mrs Tightfisted Paula just couldn't face that today - twice what we would normally pay in Littlehampton and probably less food. So we didn't stay there either!
But we did walk from there.
The Orchards is on the main A272, but tucked away are the remnants of West Grinstead Station and a railway path from Guildford to Shoreham. We have been there before.

Bill took this photograph of me waiting on a platform seat.


Through the tunnel (Paula)
  
The old signal by Bill.


















West Grinstead Station sign (Paula)



The old railway carriage in the daisies
(Paula).
Buffers in the daisies (Bill)


















Carriage springs amongst the buttercups.




Burrs against the sky (Bill)









Silhouetted burrs (Paula)



Trefoil flowers (Bill)


Orchid (Bill)


 

We walked south until we were in open country, with views to the South Downs.


Pictures of the railway path looking south towards Partgridge Green and Henfield.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the way home we picked up fish and chips from the mobile van that stops in Handcross on Saturdays - very excellent fish and chips.
There was qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix on the TV - but both of us dozed off at different times.

Since then we have not got on with anything much. My purchases are, of course, still on the dining room table.
We watched Dr Who - I dozed off during that too!

I am presuming that I will get up early and go to the boot sale up the road at Pease Pottage at about 7 o'clock.


Labels: