Thursday, May 26, 2011

 

Cousin contact

Fell asleep during the evening.
I am not surprised for it has been a long day and I worked hard to make it happen.
I was in Asda at 8 o'clock this morning, buying what I needed for the day. It is a very good time to be in a supermarket; not a time that many other people choose.
The day began as a little notion that came into my head some months ago.
Bill and I have been happy to maintain contact with his cousins, which began for me when I began to study his family history.
I had had almost no knowledge of most of his cousins - Bill had hardly more than me.
When we were with his cousin Pat one time recently we were telling her of our visits to cousin Ann.
"Oh how I would love to see Ann again" mused Pat.
I could sense that she saw it as a vain hope. I decided there and then to make it happen.
Bill's family is a big one and there are many cousins - Bill is older than most of them.
But Ann is now 82, her sister Betty is 80 and Pat is 79.
I knew we didn't have "for ever" to arrange this meeting.
And today was the day.
Much chat and laughter and memories of course.
Two of Bill's sisters joined us, which was great. Julie remembers last meeting up with Pat when she was 9 or10.
Pat was very glamorous in her youth. Julie can remember going to stay with her Auntie Rose and her cousin Pat and Auntie Rose giving her one of Pat's evening dresses in yellow satin.
Bill's sister Pam cannot remember ever meeting Pat - she would have been too young for a memory to have taken root.
Pat was with the family for Michael's christening in 1955. She recalled that she had never been to a christening and knew nothing about what went on.
She arrived at the church, had a baby thrust into her arms and had the vicar abruptly ask her how she named the child.
Pat had no idea!
She suggested the first idea that came into her head...."John Henry"
The family in the congregation giggled and called out what the true name of the baby was.
Such has been the day - memories.
And eating!
I provided the main meal and others contributed desserts and cake.
We have drunk wine and endless cups of tea and coffee.
I am so glad that I created the chance for these old cousins to meet up once again - and the not so old.
Now for a few snap shots - no art shots today.

Pat, Betty and Ann study old photographs.










Dinner was salmon, lots of little boiled potatoes, vegetables and salad.

































Betty - wonderful at 80.
Pam
Ann (82) has been through many trials and tribulations
of poor health and widowhood in the last 4 years.

Tomorrow must be a day of rest and creating a meal from the left overs.
                                                                                 

Labels: