Wednesday, May 25, 2011

 

A walk under blue skies at Ardingly.

We have been fortunate with the weather today- blue skies and sunshine; so, we decided to get out for a walk.
We haven't walked at Ardingly Reservoir for quite some time.
As we started off I could almost hear my Uncle Billy talking about Ardingly.
Alison must have taken him there one time and he was not best pleased with the place - not a patch on Kent's Bewl Water, he grumbled.
Today I kind of agreed with him. I am sure  that last time I walked there, the water was not completely fenced off from the footpath.
But water always looks good under blue skies.


 
Do you see the old man?
It almost looked like he was moving his lips in the breeze!















As we walked my thoughts returned to the theme of what to do with our photographs.
I think I have made up my mind now, about mine.
Photographs taken enhance my stories of our time.
A few stand alone as  worthwhile pictures in their own right.

The stories of our time are recorded for others to share in  two ways - on this blog or on facebook.
At different times up to 100 people might see my photos via one of those routes.
I shall now begin an album, which contains just pictures which have some quality even without the stories of the day.
Which photo would I select from today I wonder?
I still don't know how Bill wants to approach his photography.
One thing is for sure - life changes and habits have to change.

But, back to the reservoir.

























Death is not normally attractive.
But dead trees stand tall and proud long after almost all the life has drained from them.









It isn't perfect - but I like how it almost worked!















We are climbing now,
to the old village of Ardingly.
 




There are many old, large houses to be seen.
















 








I have always thought that Ardingly Church looked stunning as I drove by back from the antiques shop in the village.
Today was the first time I had been inside.
I was a bit disappointed.
I think it was the green/blue tartan carpet down the main aisle that was such an eyesore!
Still, as Bill commented - it has nothing to do with me!

I was very thirsty by this time.


The image of The Oak at Ardingly flashed into my brain!














Enjoying half a pint of Harvey's best, brewed in Lewes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the way home we stopped to explore a National Trust piece of land.
The number of times we have driven past the NT sign for Selsfield Common (between Ardingly and Turners Hill) must run into thousands.
What is Selsfield Common?
We always said we would look.
It is 7 acres of woodland donated by a local land owner in about 1910.
There are lots of well worn pathways - so presumably well used.
But at no point did we get out of the wood to enjoy the views across the surrounding valleys - except at a point that we really couldn't get to because it is the site of an underground reservoir.

But now we know! Hooray!

Labels: