Saturday, April 16, 2011

 

Littlehampton Lifeboat

Where was the sun?
This morning was rather shrouded in mist - though not very cold.
I think that we bought well this morning at Ford - apart from the railway watch that doesn't work, which I bought.
We bought well, but not a vast amount.

Breakfast was at The Balaton this week, by the River Arun in Littlehampton.
There are always things happening on the river; I dream of living by the river.
Today the lifeboat was towing in a yacht.




















By the time we got to that part of the river, the lifeboat was already back at the lifeboat station.
This is normally where we might buy Bill's lifeboat tea or perhaps a book from their charity boxes.

Today the lifeboat, Blue Peter 1, was being cleaned and overhauled after its trip out to sea.























Today's drama was of a gentle nature.
The yacht was a well equipped boat from Belgium. It's crew had been who knows where; they were on their way to Brighton Marina when they found themselves without wind (it was a very still day) and no fuel. The lifeboat man told us that they were about one litre short of what they needed to make it to Brighton.
It wasn't a life or death situation, but it sometimes is. It amazes me that this branch of the emergency services is entirely dependent on the generosity and hard work of supporters.
It has become a charity that I find myself drawn to.


The swans of the Arun estuary are famed. Bill counted today and got up to about 60. Some had the benefit of my Balaton and bread and butter.



An old working boat, very rickety looking, chugs by the leisure craft.


This working boat, with its red sail, was much more pleasing.

On Saturday mornings the Arun Yacht Club is busy teaching youngsters the rudiments of sailing.
We have seen them doing lots on the river before.
Today they were taken out to sea.
The adults keep a close watch and they were towed back into the harbour.


There are a few shops and cafes on the banks of the river.
Bill is drawn to the Dutch Bike Shop - remembering his cycling days.
It really is bright red. Bill created a green pavement and a bright blue sky.


The lovely red sails again.
Yes, I think I could be happy in one of those flats!

Now to see three of my purchases - very retro or vintage this week.
After all that dancing - in Paris, of course - fill your glass to the brim in one from this stylish 1950's set.

I love them!

This must date from the early 60's. I bought something similar last week - but I much prefer this one. It is quite tempting to keep it for a while.

I wonder what treasures I can find tomorrow.
The plan is to get up early and go to the first sale at Pease Pottage.
And then have a restful day at home.

Labels: