Tuesday, March 15, 2011

 

Spring time at last?

What a day!
Oh yes - this has been very spring like.
Early this morning we heard the hum of the council mowers cutting grass - not so much for them to do at the front as there used to be of course.
Washing was hung outdoors.
And Bill went out to clean the car thoroughly with no coat or jacket on.
The back door could remained open and fresh air flooded in.

I spent a while this morning on the phone.
Liz's mother, I felt, would like to hear of how the move to Newcastle went.
Poor Liz's mother - widowed just 3 weeks ago. He own life has turned upside down and now her daughter and grand daughter are not in a place that she can visualise.
Poor Liz too - she has been just great at keeping things together, despite her world feeling like it has broken apart.
I am so glad that Liz's new job doesn't start until April 4th. This gives time to get to feel grounded in the new environment. The three of them have been busy having some fun.
They have been to see the sea at Tynemouth.
But work goes on too - builders have been to work out quotes and estimates for all the work that needs doing.

I packed up more clothes today - this time to send to France. The buyer calls herself Renaissance Dyeing; so I am sure she is running a cottage industry based on clothes, fashion and fabrics.

This afternoon we went to visit Bill's sister. Jane was in hospital until the weekend, being given a replacement knee.
It is far too early to think about if all has been successful - still too much swelling and pain.
But I am sure, like most people, she will, at some point, feel so glad that she has had it done.

Talking of painful knees - mine returned.
Now, I have to confess, some wheat has passed my lips since Thursday.
My digestion responded in the usual way.
And I realised that last time I fell off the wagon and indulged in quite a lot of wheat based products I was simultaneously suffering with 2 painful knee joints.
Today I began to wonder.....and yes, there is much evidence that wheat intolerance can/will cause painful muscles and joints.
I read a web site earlier which quoted evidence that wheat intolerance can cause pancreatic disfunction.
Well, that might explain things then.
And of course the most common pancreatic disfunction seen these days is diabetes - increasingly common. At least I don't have that!
Have the modern methods of producing bread got a lot to answer for?

So, time to climb back into my disciplined straight jacket of a no wheat diet.
I can do it.
I have a friend who recently went very public about being an alcoholic. Having done that seems to have affected her way of viewing the problem and from yesterday she is learning to cope without her crutch. She has good medical support I hasten to add.
Congratulations to her.
The road I have to travel should be much easier than hers. If she can do it, then surely so can I.
We will both feel so much better for it.

Scroll down to see a few pictures taken on the last morning in Bangor.