Sunday, February 06, 2011

 

Doing the chores

This has been a home day.
The list, at my side, of things to do is now satisfyingly marked with lots of ticks.
There have been business type tasks on the list - writing up yesterday's purchases, describing and listing some more for EBay, a couple of payments, and I checked the EBay charges invoice for January.
Then there have been a few more personal things to do - a family history disc for one of our nieces, contacting another niece (Michaela) about news. Her family have had one darn thing after another - all not well and baby George was in hospital at Christmas. I had inquired about any contact she might have with the family who are in America. Seems contact has been lost again. What a shame! She has done a little investigation and is sure that a baby girl has been born....so I am a great great aunt.
And so the day proceeded.
I took some photos of things I had bought once again.


Here is one for the Guinness collector - a very popular area for collecting.
I think this ash tray is getting on for 100 years old and it has seen some life during its years. I have wondered if some of the chips on the rim might have been made deliberately to form more secure places for a cigarette to rest.
None of the Guinness bits that I have seen use the phrase "Guinness's Stout".
In hope, despite the condition, that somewhere in the big wide world of EBay somebody might be interested.

Guess which item of glass I have most hopes for?
The item on the right is signed and dated by a couple of glass workers from Yorkshire and I have seen some of their glass at selling prices of close to £200. Bill and I had a job to read the signatures for age had worn down the etched glass a bit - but we got it and found them on the internet ; Sanders and Wallace.
I think this item will try its luck on EBay some time.


Now here's an item for the 50 or 60 somethings!
When I opened it all up, the perfume and the feel of the thing took me to an age when such an item seemed so important.


I love old Penguin books. And I enjoy quiz books. These two from the early 1950s seem not to have been used, or even opened.
A Christmas present from almost 60 years ago that was just put on the shelf and forgotten I suppose.


I have sold door knockers before. I don't know the age of this Egyptian, but I have all the fixtures and fittings.


This game is new. Another unused Christmas present maybe from a house that had been cleared by the house clearance boys.
It is recent but the art work on the box is delightful, aping the 1930s style.


Typical 1950's table ware - so very trendy in its day.
Some of the afternoon was taken up on the phone with Ashley. He was hoping that Liz would return home this evening, although her father is still under heavy sedation.
Ashley and I watched enthralled as 2 of his facebook friends had a row!
Ashley had posted a video clip about the EDL (English Defence League) and he uttered his disgust at their language and bigotry.
Daren, an old school friend now in Indonesia, agreed.
Lee an old university contact definitely did not and by his manner and language showed just how people can slip into the ways of extremism (on both sides of the divide).
Daren and Lee argued back and forth!
Ashley and I watched in amusement and amazement! Each writing comments, judging the other.
Then Jamie put his oar in!
Just started watching that video and love the irony of a man with his face covered by a cloth to hide his identity walking along holding a 'Ban the Burkha'.
Jamie shut them up! Well, shut Lee up, who was the one going so far over the top.
I have often wondered if laughing at extremists might just work!
Time for the last chores of the day now.
Put the kettle on and make a drink, then load the washing machine.
Good night!