Friday, February 04, 2011

 

Family pride.

Today has been one in which we spent time with family.
Roger and Sue drove up from Wiltshire to have lunch with us. For a while we were joined by our half sister, Ruth.
This afternoon we drove a few miles south to the village of Albourne to visit our second cousin Brian.
I have always pronounced the village as All-bourne, but Brian who has been attached to the place for much of his life, says Al-bourne.
Roger had prepared photos, census reports and copies of family postcards for Brian to enjoy.


Roger and I pose with our second cousin, Brian.
The next 2 photos show the great grandparents that Roger and I share with Brian.
James Stevens. - Always known as Truggy.
Sarah Stevens, nee Crosby.
They had 5 children, Nelly, Sue, Eliza, Harry and Ethel Kate.
My grandmother was Ethel, Brian's was Eliza.
Eliza had one son before she married Will. The boy's name was Ern. He never knew who his father was.
Ern grew and married and Brian is one of his family.
Eliza and Will were my great aunt and uncle, but I knew very little about them.
I have no memory of the fact that she was so much larger than he was. But I may never have ever met them together.

They are with their daughter Grace. They had a number of daughters.

They lived in The Dock at Firle - a lane at the far end of the village, close to the church. I believe they lived in one of the pair of houses on the right. One can be fairly sure that the child seen in this postcard would be one of the family.


This picture shows our grandmother, Ethel with Brian's grandmother, Eliza on the beach at Bexhill with my Dad and his sister, Dora.
Apart from the fact that it is good to keep in touch, Roger and I had a purpose to our visit to Brian today.
I discovered through the post card club that our Brian had written and published 2 books about his Albourne and surrounding villages.
Roger and I bought a copy of the most recent book - full of history and anecdote and many pictures.
Brian gave us each a copy of his first book which concentrated on Albourne alone - and published to coincide with the new milennium.
How proud those grandparents and great grandparents would have been - and all the aunts and uncles too.
Roger and I are proud too - having a cousin who was not daunted by the task and instead of thinking "I can't do that sort of thing" thought "Why not?"
Roger and Sue returned to 119 for tea and then drove up to south London to spend the night with their daughter, Megan and to see all the progress that young Charlie has made since Christmas.