Saturday, February 05, 2011

 

Wild weather and much admiration for Donna.

We didn't think we were going to do it!
There had been plans for a Saturday lie in and let the weather do what it will.
But reports suggested that it might not be too bad.
It drizzled and rained almost all the way to Ford - silly us!
But it was dry whilst we were there - murky, but dry.
And it was very windy.
I consider I have found a few interesting things - but have hardly looked at them yet.

We enjoyed our breakfast and we looked in at a few of the Littlehampton charity shops. I bought 2 rather good tops ; one is a red M&S top which will match the red M&S skirt that I had bought at the car boot sale.
I bought 2 other items of clothing at Ford. I now have two Jaeger (nothing but the best for me!) hats - big floppy corduroy beret type hats. I love them.

I had with me some stale bread for birds. Somehow I wanted to avoid the slippery ramp by the lifeboat station.
My ribs still hurt when pain killers wear off and that pulled muscle in my groin still forces me to wince.
We went and parked up by the beach huts.
The sea was very rough and mighty.
I enjoyed being on the beach.








Bill used the beach huts for shelter from the wind whilst the mad bird woman was down on the beach.


Bill took this picture of birds though.
Do enlarge it - its great. Every single bird is at the same angle as they turn to make the narrowest shape possible as they are buffeted by the south west wind. I have edited out the sentence I wrote yesterday about what the above birds are. I was wrong yesterday and now know they are oystercatchers. Thank you BBC Countryfile programme!


I soon had a large collection of gulls swirling round above my head and swooping down to pick up scraps of bread.



What does she look like?
I had to take my scarf off and tie it round my hat to stop the hat from blowing away.
It wasn't actually too cold - but the wind almost swept me off my feet!
Whilst in Littlehampton town I did something that I rarely do - I bought a woman's magazine.
I couldn't not have the article about my timekeeping friend, Donna.
Donna has been through health hell.
Her immune system attacked her own liver and she was very close to death. Conversation on the timekeeper's steps can sound quite dramatic to outsiders, but for the pair of us being close to death is quite a normality!
Donna received a new liver very quickly after diagnosis.
She now works tirelessly for the Kings College Hospital liver unit and for people to realise how important it is to be prepared to donate and organ to benefit others.
There continues to be a battle inside her body; the medical experts are working hard and winning the fight to keep the new liver on top of the attacking immune system.
The article in Prima magazine (March issue, out now) tells Donna's story.
Here are two pictures from the article.

This is Donna's blog.


This afternoon I have been wrapping and invoicing.
There have been a couple of useful sales amongst the more everyday sales.
Dinner was great - a sort of shepherds pie, using up lots of vegetables, two sausages and half a tin of corned beef. Very tasty.
Ashley has found an archived web site which gives the details of the house they are buying in Newcastle.