Thursday, November 18, 2010

 

A trip to Crawley.....and France. Thursday 18th November

It has been a good day.
Its rare that I can say that about a trip into Crawley town centre.
Though I am fed up of the greyness which enveloped us by lunchtime and the darkness of the evenings.
It has been dark now for almost 4 hours - so it feels like bedtime. But its only half past eight.
Mind you bed looks inviting.

We were back at the doctor's this morning.
Bill had an ECG. The nurse had decided he ought to be checked out.
Fortunately it was a false alarm and he was deemed to be normal.He didn't bother to ask to talk with a doctor about his bug - silly really because Dr Oliver had finished with patients and it was he looked at the ECG read out.
I collected my prescription for Vitamin D injection stuff from the pharmacy over there, because they couldn't get it.

Then we went into town.
We had some vague plans for a lunch out - but that didn't happen.
There was a French market in the main square and we bought a few bits. Yes, they were quite expensive but of such quality and taste that we thought it worthwhile.

The pharmacist in Boots took the prescription and warned me that she would have to order it; but she didn't suggest that it would be unavailable.

We looked in one or two charity shops. I bought 2 skirts which look good over leggings - and they will still look good over bare legs when it gets warm again.
We looked in the furniture and electrical goods charity shops too.
The Heart Foundation sells TVs which have been overhauled. I think we will buy one for the bedroom. The one we have up there is almost 20 years old - that's not the problem of course - but it doesn't have a scart lead socket and therefore we can't attach a digibox, which all TVs will need next year.
We can buy one for £20 - £30 in the charity shop.
Then we discovered a new charity shop established by Crawley Community Church.
Its the best; its not all glossy and trying to imitate shops selling new stuff. But they do have some very classy stuff - somebody is advising very well.
I do hope, for their sake, that the shop is receiving advice suitable for Crawley. There was a goodly amount of the sort of things I sell - at the price I might sell them for; some things were quite highly priced. I don't know if Crawley people would pay £25 for a charming set of mint 1950s kitchen scales in the original box. I would have wanted them! They were made of plastic in Wedgwood Blue.

Then it was time to get home with our French food to make a picnic to be eaten at home - too damp and murky to think of an outdoor picnic today.
I am hoping my digestion will cope with the food I wanted to take risks with. So far so good - except that things have been pretty bad there for a while anyway.
We enjoyed wonderful French bread - bread cooked properly; with goat's cheese and herbs. We also bought some ugly looking salami type sausages to slice - one with figs, one with blueberries and one with.....we forget!
They were very good and not at all chewy as I feared they might be.
Bill bought a custard and plum tart as a treat and I bought some olives.
It was a lovely lunch. Really enjoyed the crisp, fresh tastes.

I did a bit more describing this afternoon; but generally we took our ease.

Now scroll down for more Thai family pictures - eating and drinking again!