Monday, November 15, 2010

 

Monday 15th Nov. A Dorking Day.


Let's begin with yet another picture taken whilst at the Beach Bar.
Here we have Jessica and John on the beach last Saturday.
The Monks went there with a group of friends and there were 7 children playing happily on the beach.
The thought of being there with them lifts one away from some of the bad weather we had last week.
Mind you - so did they.

Today Bill and I have been at the shop and it has felt relaxed. Sales were better than last week (couldn't have been much worse!).
I spent money today, rather than make money.
I feel awkward when people bring things in that they would like to sell.
No - I didn't want 5 floral small cups and saucers. They were modern and the name Minton on the base meant nothing at all.
She thought they were treasures, so when she suggested taking them along to the local auction house, I thought "Yes - let them tell her". They should have been donated to a charity shop.
Another woman had some stuff that I thought I could make some money out of.
But maybe after she had screwed extra money out of me, my profits will be small.

The sunshine as we drove to Dorking was not as bright as I hoped for - but the trees still glowed.
Later in the day the sunshine was very strong - and very low.
Twice I walked towards that low sun along the High Street with a hand over my eyes, to shield them - in order to be able to see anything at all. It was blinding.
"Twice?" You might ask why twice.
I took parcels to the post office, got them sorted and labelled and ready to post and then found I didn't have my purse with me!

When I got back it was to join with Monika to sell some very fine shoe trees. These were Victorian items to be placed into a gentleman's riding boots.

These are from an auction catalogue - but the ones Jo had were much the same, perhaps just a little better.
This pair sold for £60 in the auction.
A lovely lady bought them and will take them back to her home at Cordes in the Tarn area of France.
Bill and I have explored Cordes - one of those fantastic medieval small towns built on the top of a steep hill with 360 degree views round the open country.
Scroll down to see some lovely butterfly pictures.

Labels: ,