Saturday, November 20, 2010

 

Kitchen things, Ashley, media, selling.

It has been a grey day, yet a good day.
We got out - and I am sure that Bill is none the worse for it.
He still is easily weary and troubled by a sinusy chesty cough.

We went to Ford of course.
It was a kitchen day for me - what I saw that I could afford was for my kitchen shelves at the shop.
I love it - much more than the pretty flowery china. Fortunately it seems to be the way the customers are thinking too.



We spent ages relaxing over our breakfast.
Then we went round the Littlehampton charity shops. Bill bought 2 pairs of M&S trousers and 2 shirts.
We also had the task of finding something to take to Jane and Geoff's tomorrow for their Ruby Wedding.
Hooray - one of the charity shops had a pretty boxed set of 2 glasses etched with a Ruby Wedding message- lots of red ribbon.
We called in at Lidl and bought a bottle of the champagne they are selling to go with it - well recommended.
We walked round to the lifeboat station and apologised to the swans who came and stood by us....we had no bread for them.

This afternoon, I sorted out the purchases. I used beeswax polish on the wooden handles of the kitchen tools.
I think beeswax is very therapeutic.
I have sold things on EBay and Bill has listed lots of lead figures - Coco Cub figures from the 1930s.

I have talked with Ashley - he was busy looking at houses for sale.
But their plans for moving maybe have received a knock or a push in a completely different direction.
The pension company Liz works for, where she is much respected has decided to close the Bangor site and relocate to Sheffield.
Ashley and Liz want to stay in Bangor of course - don't want their lives turned upside down.
But - it is Wales, and employment is always more difficult for non Welsh speakers.
The company plan to be moved by the end of March. Of course they have talked of consultation procedures - but, cynically, I am thinking that this is a done deal.
So, Ashley was looking at houses in Sheffield.
House prices are lower there than in Bangor.
The west side of the city is close to the Peak District National Park and that would suit Ashley just fine. Liz has always lived close to the sea and would miss the proximity of the ocean - if The Menai Strait counts as the ocean.
One thing seems to be sure, they will keep their house on the market and keep half an eye on Bangor houses for sale. They must think hard about where life will take them. I think Liz could be in a strong bargaining position if she is prepared to move. She has knowledge and skills which are well respected and people like her would be needed to establish a new set up in a new location.

So they now have a very awkward transition between the chapters of their lives.

And this evening I have joined the mass media events of Strictly and X Factor.
The programmes drive me mad and excite me all at the same time. Of course they are stage managed, but individuals shine through.
I didn't get at all involved in last night's media event.
That's the TV marathon entertainment/charity show that goes on and on for hours with fairly second rate entertainment - though I might have been glad to catch Take That.
The cause is very worthy and deserves my support, but I do not like feeling manipulated. I can find other ways of making sure that a little of our spare money goes to help others without a media event.
And also (another almost sacrilegious statement coming up).... I don't think Terry Wogan in much good as a TV presenter.

And now, not sure how it happened, but Bill is listening to Sinead O'Connor on YouTube - she has done some wonderful stuff, beautiful voice, beautiful person, and just beautiful.

Labels: