Sunday, October 17, 2010

 

Cold Sunday and a look back to all sorts in Phuket.

If the mornings get much colder than today, then we will have to give in and put some heating on; well we are using the small fan heater from time to time already.
It has been quite a shock to come back from 30 degrees to approaching winter. This morning the temperature was 4.7 degrees when we went off to Dorking.
Everybody at the car boot sale was commenting on the cold weather - before the sun had risen enough to give us blue skies and some semblance of warmth.
We found some things that we hope will sell in the shop - I love the 1930s art deco leather handbag.
Bill bought a lot of lead animals and figures.
We drove home via Horley and bought ..... not a thing!
The Horley car boot sale was crowded; I wonder why it seems to attract merely the people selling things of little interest - somebody must be buying.
We were home by 9 o'clock.

Bill went out and cut the grass.
I wrote up the things bought yesterday and today.

This afternoon I continued with photos - I am about half way through now.
I shall hand over files I have prepared of photos of mine that Bill can print for the album.

I must get on with cooking dinner now.
I am doing trout fillets, with onion and mushroom, encased in an omelette.

Today's Thai photos are a miscellany of pictures that I like from Thursday 23rd September - the first day of the school holidays.
I posted pictures of the aquarium and the little dog at the reservoir on this blog whilst we were away - so here is a mixed bag of the rest.


First thing Mam got out in the garden for some pruning and sweeping.


Clippings were placed over the wall - and then were scattered down the road!
You can see that the house is in a rural situation.


I think this picture made it on before - but I love it.


Waiting for everybody to be ready to go out.
We went to the noodle shop for breakfast.
It didn't bother Jessica that she had already eaten a cheeses and ham sandwich - hollow legs that girl!
But Bill had already eaten cornflakes and didn't feel the need of noodles.
He had an iced coffee and then went for a little walk along the Kathu waterfall road.

This little shop is opposite the noodle shop and cafe.




One of the bigger houses - though there are also some really quite grand ones too.
The cables are visible almost everywhere in Phuket - except in the old part of Phuket Town where they have been buried to enhance the look of the place.

Most families have a small Buddhist shrine, either outside or just inside the house.

Beautiful flowers grow by the road side.
Later we headed to the south for a visit to the Phuket Aquarium.
We stopped at the viewpoint over looking Chalong Bay.
I should explain the geography of the island.....
The south of the island is made up of two wide headlands, hilly and tree covered; they form arms reaching out in the sea and between the arms is the huge Chalong Bay.

We were on the Eastern arm that ends at Cape Panwa.
We are on the viewpoint, looking to the west across Chalong Bay.
Kathu, where Jamie and Mam live is north of both these southerly arms.




More of those flowers by the roadside - this time Bill managed to catch a butterfly.


Yes - this one has been used before.
But I love being a grandmother and this picture captures me being just that.





I am Nannie to this bundle of fun!



And Nannie, too, to this young beauty.
I like to think I have an inkling of what goes on in Jessica's head.
I wonder!
She is growing up fast.



Bougainvillea grows so well in Phuket.


Jessica is such a wonderful mixture of confidence and vulnerability.
This portrait seems to say just that.



Do you remember pictures of the tiny dog we met at the reservoir one evening.
My cousin, Rod, was able to tell me within a very short time that it is a Bichon Frise.
What an amazing little creature.
Look at John's face - he can hardly believe that his eyes...."Is it real?"
Next time I will show you around the old central heart of Phuket - the village of Kathu.
Labels: Car boot sales. Thailand.

Labels: , ,