Thursday, October 14, 2010

 

1987 anniversary. Boat Lagoon, Sapam shrine etc.

I have split today's Thailand pictures into 2 parts.

But first what of today? For me, it is not much of a day. I know I am feeling much better than before - but not yet fully recovered.
We slept late.
I was pleased to do my blood pressure before getting up and seeing it at 105 over 65.
Now that's normal for me!
But I didn't want to do much. Why so negative?
Well, it is a bit chilly.
I should have gone with Bill to get flowers and take them to his parents' grave. Today is the anniversary of Bill's mother's death - 23 years ago.
Unbelievably I hardly noticed the weather that day.
It was a night of another anniversary - the big storm. I think we must have been too numb and tired to be aware of the terrible winds and damage going on outside.Bill did meet his sister, Jane at the grave.

Tomorrow I shall aim to get up and get on with something that feels good.


On Wednesday 23rd Bill and I had another day out on our own. The children were finishing school with more exams and a party.



A street scene - taken from the car.
Our first destination was a distant world from the people in the back of the pick up truck - and a distant world for us too.
We thought we would see how the other half live - or more likely the other 5% of very affluent people of many nationalities.


We went to Boat Lagoon - one of two very smart marinas on the east coast of Phuket.
There were luxurious apartments, swish boats and expensive cafes.




Bill poses on the board walk.


My turn for a pose.

It rained for a while.
Should we get a drink?
Not likely - when the prices were about 5 times the normal.


Under a boat. I noticed a lot that the pattern of work was to see one man working and others watching.


Bill and I pose for a fence post!


I found the little branch of bougainvillea on the floor and realised that it would enhance a picture.
But we still wanted a drink.
There was a 7 -11 just outside the Lagoon.
It was the end of morning school in that area and the shop was besieged by children.

I snatched some pictures.
I like the reminder that school kids are the same the world over, whatever their race, colour or creed.
Out of school and into the shop for a snack.


This beautiful young girl was on her motor bike.
Opposite is a smart boat chandlery.
Complete with a drink and a cooked sausage from 7-11 we set off to have another look at the Chinese shrine at Sapam.
I posted a couple of pictures of the outside yesterday.


Inside were altars - centres for devotion and thought and prayer.
I liked this statue.

Another altar.


These are not just work aprons - they are special robes. Beautifully embroidered.


Dragon detail on one of the robes.


Posing by the dragons at the entrance to the shrine.
Now scroll down for the second part of Sapam, where we explore the village and meet people.

Labels: