Saturday, April 17, 2010

 

A walk round Arundel

I know - I said that I would put Bill's Nymans photos on today.
They will be posted very soon, but I decided that it might be better to have just those pictures saved for a day which was a bit dull and routine; better than allowing my diary to have a succession of days where the pictures don't match the activities.

We were up early - in thick mist. We drove down to Ford thinking it might feel chilly.
As we came down the hill to Arundel, the castle was obscured by the mist.
And then suddenly it was sunny.
And soon it was warm.
We didn't buy very much at the Ford car boot sale this week, but it took quite a while to walk round deciding not to buy things.

We broke with our normal routine and we didn't go to Littlehampton!
We went back to Arundel.
We enjoyed the farmer's market - always a treat because the stall holders have samples for tasting, including some wine. Well, we had to have the locally made elderberry wine!
We bought chutney and jam and an interesting hand made pie for dinner tomorrow.
The farmer's market is outdoors, with stalls set up along the river bank by the remains of medieval walls.

But we had more on our minds than tomorrow's dinner - we wanted our breakfast! It was midday almost!
We went to a cafe we have used before, which was very busy.


This is at the bottom of the High Street, close to the river.
When we felt we could eat no more we went for a walk.
Arundel attracts people to the castle and the river.
We decided to see what else it had to offer.


This sign was high on a wall, not far from the cafe.
The first line, I felt, needed to be altered to "Old Harry's Dad...."
My Father was Harry and his father was a shoe repairer. I think both would have liked the sentiments of this little rhyme.


Here we are looking down the High Street.
On the left is the old home of a clock maker - Thomas Walder. He lived a long (1766- 1861) and successful life. You can just make out the blue plaque on the wall - above the bale of hay in the car.
There is also a stone clock on the wall.
Next door had been the blacksmith's and high above, on top of the gable is a stone anvil.
Further down you can see tall chimneys. Arundel seems to be a town of interesting tall chimneys.
We found other blue plaques. Perhaps the most interesting was for Ralph Ellis born in the High Street in 1885. He was an artist. I am sure if you live in the UK you have seen some of his work.
One of his claims to fame is that he painted pub signs.
One of his featured on a fairly recent set of stamps.


The war memorial in the High Street.
Tarrant Street is a turning off the High street, half way up the steep hill.
It is delightful with lots of little interesting and arty shops.
We called in at the antiques centre in the old chapel - didn't buy anything.
We took pictures of doors, windows and door knockers as is our habit. But I am showing very few here. maybe some of them can be saved for another day.


The Kings Arms is reputed to date from the 1600s.


The upstairs artist's room


Grand porch and front door.
Some earlier residents could afford their fire insurance - see the sun above the door.


This is from Kings Arms Hill, a steep cobbled way by the side of the pub.
We are looking down towards the river.


This is the view up Kings Arms Hill.
It is a shame I couldn't show the cobbles - but there was a big ugly car parked at the top of the hill, so I took my eyes above it. We are looking towards Maltravers Street.


Another clock on the wall - not working.


Old building in Maltravers Street.


Beautiful old cottage in Maltravers Street - where there is another cobbled street down to Tarrant Street.
We were heading towards the very top of the High Street.
We had views towards the back of the castle.

We like Arundel.
There is much history and character.
There is also a traditional sweet shop, where all the old favourites can be bought.
I went and got a large supply of double salt liquorice sweets - a real passion!
I will ration myself. I have not forgotten that at the time of my most recent surgery I was addicted to salt liquorice - and when my potassium levels went sky high liquorice was immediately off the menu for me.

We came home and relaxed.
Tomorrow morning we think we will go to Dorking.
We must not be out for too long. We are timekeeping at our first track meeting of the summer. I suspect that one of us will have to be chief timekeeper - probably me. We have not yet been asked - but I don't know if anybody bothers to sort things like that out any more.
The weather forecast looks set fair.

Labels: