Friday, April 16, 2010

 

My Nymans and text speak

This afternoon we took a walk at Nymans - our nearest National Trust property.
It is so good to be able to pop in for an hour to walk and enjoy the changing seasons.
This is very much the magnolia season - and lots of other flowers of course.

Today I will share with you a few of my pictures. Bill is still sorting the 58 that he took.

I am pleased with my pictures. They show that the main requirement for photography is an eye and an idea.
I seem to have those things; and for a while have been yearning for a slightly better camera.
Today a Canon Power Shot SX20IS has been ordered.
There will be much for me to learn.
I look forward to the new challenge.

Now for my pictures......


Snakes head fritillary, from below.
Spell check wondered if I meant snakes head fairytale!
I like that.


Daffodils.
I took almost the identical shot last April.....it was April 1st last year.


The sculpted box hedge.

The sculpted tree stump.


Delicious creamy yellow rhododendron blooms.


Camellias and a tall magnolia.


This photograph looks like I have done something clever and technical to it.
I haven't.
It is a single bloom at the end of a branch of a big magnolia tree. It was still attached to the branch.
I had flash on because it was a bit dark under the tree.


Nymans House lawns with a bed of narcissi.
For those that don't know it, Nymans was a Victorian (mock medieval manor) family home until a fire destroyed much of it in 1947.
What could be restored continued to be used by the family until the death of the last occupant in 1992.
One family member was Lord Snowdon - the man princess Margaret married.

More magnolias and the house.


The magnificent magnolia tree - where my single bloom was growing.
Bill's photos will reflect the same sort of story and no doubt I will share some with you tomorrow - not all 58!
Today it was my Nymans - tomorrow we will see Bill's Nymans.
The plan is to go to Ford tomorrow.
No doubt we shall be enjoying breakfast somewhere afterwards and probably taking more photographs.
From the sublime now to the ridiculous..... well, ridiculous to my old fashioned brain.
I don't mean really that it is ridiculous - just something outside my own knowledge and experience.
I love to be in touch with people in all manner of ways - and sometimes I text people.....in English!
But there is a new language, which the young have mastered. It is textspeak.
Here is a written conversation between a couple of young women on facebook - one is our niece in Scotland.

Kelly Brown
Pmsl hows u huni x
11 hours ago

Charlene Monk
Im gd howz u hun? Ur kids r cute. Im due in 9 weeks with number 2. Keekin maself lol nt went into labour before lol all new 2 me. Not seen u in a funny few yrs wat u been doin wi urself? X
10 hours ago

Kelly Brown
Aww thank u hun wat u mean u ant went in2 labour u got gawjus wee boi lol am gd dwn england as u prob no not been up2 much ano it been ages like x
10 hours ago
Charlene Monk
I had emergency c section gt put to sleep almost lost lewis n i cud have died x i was in pain no labour so yeah all new 2 me. Hes a cheeky monkey lol ur far away now aye u likin it threw there? X
8 hours ago

They are really skilled at textspeak.
I could no more write like that than fly!
And yes our niece is expecting her second child in a few weeks.

Labels: ,