Thursday, April 15, 2010

 

The Candidates Debate

Well, I did it.....I gave 90 minutes of my life to the candidates debate.

Sitting on a sofa on a Sunday afternoon
Going to the candidates debate
Laugh about it, shout about it
When you've got to choose
Ev'ry way you look at it, you lose.
Mrs Robinson - Simon and Garfunkel.

And I enjoyed it.
It reminded me of political meetings of my youth, when I was quite active.
Certainly Nick Clegg has done himself no harm at all.
The instant poll has him as the most successful of the trio.
David Cameron started off in a sheepish schoolboy manner, but improved as a speaker as time went on.
The fact that Gordon Brown was bottom of the poll had much more to do with preconceived ideas than the way he dealt with the debate.

But the bigger news of the day is about dust - volcanic dust.
Volcanoes fascinate me. The power is awe inspiring. It is good for mankind to know that man is not in control of everything.
I always wanted to see a volcano and have been attracted to Iceland.
Probably our visit to Vesuvius is the best we will manage - not erupting, no molten lava, but there were plumes of sulphurous smoke emerging from the rocky sides of the crater.
One day, Naples, it will erupt again.
The last time was in the 1940s.

I never thought that the incredible chaos to air traffic in this country would be caused by a volcano.
I wonder when the situation might ease.
The last time this volcano erupted it lasted for about 18 months!
But maybe the wind will change before our flight to Thailand in September.

Home life has been routine. More sorting and describing.
Parcels posted and some food bought.

Both Bill and I had our hair cut.
Whilst my hair style looked pleasing (to me) and neat I wanted Bill to take a photograph.
I thought I would also share with you the large vase that I bought at Ford last Saturday.