Thursday, April 08, 2010

 

What a lovely Day!

I really wish I was now sharing with you the results of a lovely walk around Dorking this morning.
I took photos which I can use on the shop blog next week.
The sun was shining and there was certainly no need of a coat as I walked to the post office and back along the High Street.....but not just along the main road. I took a few detours and found things I had not seen before.
Even in the High Street I found little gems.
Looking up above the shop front of Boots I came to a pointed gable inscribed with the words "Let There Be Light".
Nobody back in the shop had ever noticed it.
But I am so weary this evening and I haven't begun to sort out the photos.
I even fell asleep during Emmerdale......has Aaron gone public about being gay yet?
It has been a good day in the shop.
I have spent a lot of time talking with Emma, leaving Bill and Jill to man the front desk.
Sales were pretty good - both Bill and I sold today.
The total was boosted with the sale of a glass fronted cabinet.
We were late getting away from the shop.
We spent time chatting with the wife of a couple who are selling up their antiques shop, which is in part of the large building they own, which long ago had been the home of William Mullins, who sailed to the United States on the Mayflower in 1620.
Elonora (I later learned her name) came over and offered us wrapping paper for free. Bill and I went over to get it and I couldn't get away.
She wanted to talk.
She has owned this property and the business for 50 years and she liked to talk about the good old days.
I had not met her before - the shop full of stock, all well displayed, was rarely open. Elonora and her husband are getting on a bit and suffer health problems.
It is a wrench for them to leave Dorking - but they already have another home on Shoreham beach. They have mostly lived there for some time.
So it sounds like a very pleasant new chapter can begin for them.

The concluding part of my chapter today is familiar to you.
I must get a drink and get to bed.
Good night!