Monday, March 29, 2010

 

West Street Dorking


It has been another day in West Street Dorking.
I wish the weather had been as good as portrayed in this picture. I have just found this one - a limited edition print that is available on line.
It is a fairly accurate view of our street - the exception being that normally there is either a stream of traffic rushing through, to beat the traffic lights.....or a queue of traffic waiting for the traffic lights to turn green.
The artist has omitted the traffic lights altogether - just at the point where the red car is waiting at the little junction.
I am sure the traffic lights have been there for some time.
This picture is not completely modern - one of the shops opposite has now changed its name from Victoria and Edward to Surrey Hills.
The view towards the High Street is from almost exactly outside Pilgrims Antiques Centre. Our shop is on the right hand side.
Life in the shop is routine - and yet never routine. Many things each Monday are the same, but at the same time everything is different.
We see some of the same customers and then we see many new ones. Things sold can be similar each week, but are always different.
Today we sold one of John's barometers for over £300 - so our daily total was well boosted.
Bill and I sold again.
I worked hard on photographs for this week's shop blog. I set myself a hard task - an Easter theme. I wanted bunnies and chicks and eggs etc - there were not really enough.
I created a sort of Easter tree - little eggs that I bought, hanging on some pussy willow in a vase.
And I attempted to photograph the shop window display which also has an Easter/Spring feeling.
I look forward to making something of it all some time tomorrow.
I am now yawning my head off.
Time for bed soon.
Tomorrow both Bill and I have appointments with the GP - at different times of day and in different places!

Labels: