Sunday, April 25, 2010

 

The desired result

There can be several reasons for doing a car boot sale - a boost to one's income, clearing out lots of unwanted items, a day out in the sunshine and so on.
We scored on 2 counts - but very much lacked the sunshine.
But the car was fully loaded and we wanted to get on with the selling, and surely the sun would break through soon.
It looked like it was sunny for the London Marathon, but 30 miles south we were not so blessed.

We had a dozen or more boxes of books, glass, china, odds and ends of all kinds to sell.
Everything was priced - though we were always going to sell for less than what was on the ticket.


People were showing an interest early on.
Then the rains came.
We had to find covers for the things that shouldn't be allowed to get wet.
I had a flask of hot water and we made cups of tea and sheltered a bit and chatted to our neighbours.
We had next to us a business venture - with an interesting idea.
They had substitute funeral tributes.
The man's grandfather had died and they discovered a tribute of flowers spelling out the word Grandad would cost £120.
The man is a carpenter.
He made the same sort of thing out of wood, decorated it with personal bits and pieces and added some attractive silk flowers.
It was a very personal tribute and one not destined for the dustbin.
It was admired at the funeral - and he saw an opening.
People could order their own wooden, permanent adornment for the coffin or grave yard.
He had samples for people or for pets, who might be buried in the garden. No - we don't bury our relations in the garden of course!
A good idea I thought. Good luck to him.

Here I am shivering and damp behind the stall.
Eventually the rain eased and I set to with a cloth trying to dry things.
My price tickets were lost - all the ink gone.
At that point I reminded myself of perhaps the main objective - get rid of it all.
So with no price tickets, I began offering things for less than I knew I had originally wanted.
We were selling everything for 50p and £1

This is towards the end.
So much has gone.
Hooray!

Finally I thought I had had enough.
It was time to go home.
The original boxes were down to 4.
One was full of things to keep or try their luck selling in the shop or on EBay.
There was a small box of china and glass which is washed and ready to go to a charity shop tomorrow.
There is a box of books, to be sorted - also for a charity shop.
And a small box of complete rubbish.
Once home I could count up the takings.
It was less than I originally planned of course - but £120 was not bad for such a morning.
And the garage has space in it now - not enough for the car of course, but enough to be able to get at things stored in there.
So, apart from the weather - most satisfactory.
There was more selling later on EBay.
I sold old toilet chains with cream ceramic handles.
I am proud and amused that one of them is off to Tallin, Estonia.
Right - time for bed.
Tomorrow will be busy.
I am rearranging my kitchen area in the shop.
And yes, I already feel exhausted! My legs ache with all the standing around this morning.