Monday, April 19, 2010

 

Monday in Dorking.

I am feeling really tired.
Its a horrid form of tiredness because my body is not at all relaxed - restless and shuddering at times.
I wonder why.
Well, no... I don't wonder why I am tired, just wondering where the jerky restlessness comes from.

The shop has been quiet today - takings were not as good as we have come to expect on a Monday.
But I made myself busy with doing photographs for this week's shop blog.
My theme is red and white - the colours of St George's flag.
I also had to rearrange my coloured glass - my first thought was that I had done brilliantly since last there because the coloured glass section was looking fairly empty.
In fact 13 items of mine are in the new window display.
My re-arrangement means there is now no room for all 13 pieces to fit back in when the window is changed.....unless they attract buyers of course.
Sorry Sue (the window dresser) - you won't know where to put things back!

And of course there was much chat and lively banter.
Julie, bless her, reported how she had told people that last Monday was rather dull - life in Pilgrims for her is not the same without us!

Both Bill and I sold today - good thing.
We were last there 11 days ago and sales were less good than we have come to expect.
I sold an empty tin for £26.
It was beautiful - very art nouveau and would have held a goodly amount of Bassets sweets in the first decade of the 19th century. I also sold 2 children's book just like the ones many of us girls used to read in the 1950s.

I haven't been out of the shop at all today - missing the sunshine.

And now it is time for a soothing cup of decaff tea.
Then bed.
Tomorrow the world seems to return to normal, with aeroplanes starting to fly.
I wonder if the ash situation has really eased - how would we ever know?
It is my guess that that privately people think there has been an over reaction, which nobody will admit to.
Or - and this is far worse - the airlines have put pressure on to be allowed to fly anyway.
Poor Ruth (my half sister) is stuck in Madagascar with 2 toddlers.
She has been there for 2 months with the father of the boys and his family.
She loves that side of her extended family and she loves the country - but was ready for her planned return home.
At least she was not taken unawares and found herself stuck somewhere at one of the airports where she has to change planes. That would have been a nightmare.
At the moment she is still with the family.... waiting for news.

Stella (friend) is due to visit Iceland some time fairly soon - I assume, Stella, that things have been altered. Or are you going anyway?

Now, for that cup of tea.
Goodnight.
I'll get Bill's Nymans pictures posted tomorrow.