Saturday, April 24, 2010

 

Pigeon Fancying

Today we have been bird watching at Littlehampton - and not a sea bird in sight!

First, of course, we browsed all the stalls at Ford.
I bought most of my good stuff from just one couple, who we talked to for quite a while.
I have a lovely stuffed dog on wheels - a baby walker, for a toddler to push; and I have superb 1930s wall mirror; and I have a Picquot tea set - that a 1950s teapot, water jug, sugar bowl and milk jug.




Before we walked along the beach to the river and The Balaton we got waylaid by a sight we have seen before - a large truck full of pigeons.
Pigeon races often start from the Banjo Road car park.



The last one we saw must have been twice this size, but we were there at the wrong time to see the birds released.



We chatted with the driver - from Dorset.
He was due to release the birds within about 5 minutes and so we stayed.




In the mean time I took some pictures of the gently cooing pigeons.
The driver commented that his load was worth thousands of pounds.

We then got our cameras ready for the big moment.
Oh dear - I haven't yet learned about all my facilities.
Bill said he would set his camera to be able to take photos in rapid succession. I realised I didn't know how to do this!

The following pictures are all Bill's - and very good they are too.








Off they all go, back to Dorset.
They would be in their own pigeon lofts in Weymouth or Parkstone or other Dorset towns and villages after about an hour.
The results have not yet been published on their website - but I saw last week's results.
Later I used the new camera in a way that thrilled me - it was just a matter of using the long zoom lens.
A blackbird was sitting on the uppermost twigs of a small fir tree and he was singing his heart out - a joy to hear.

If you click on the photo to enlarge it you can actually pick out the hairs within his beak!


Bill's picture is good - but it was pleasing to beat him with the blackbird picture after my abysmal failure with the pigeons!
I have dozed this evening - missed half of Dr Who and hardly concentrated on Over the Rainbow.
Tomorrow we will be up early for a car boot sale and much hard work.
We have a car loaded with boxes to take up to Pease Pottage.
It is time to sell, get money back in our purses and create space again in the garage.

Labels: , ,