Wednesday, April 21, 2010

 

Receiving parcels and other things.

Is it my birthday?
Two parcels were delivered for me today.
The first was a book - Littlehampton in Old Photographs. It is very interesting.
And a little later my new camera arrived.
How different it felt to get this camera than my very first digital camera 11 years ago.
Then I had not the first clue of how to use the functions and how to get pictures into and out of the computer.
And as Bill was "not interested" in digital photography at that stage he was little help. He thought then that he would never desert his "proper" camera.
Today I picked up the camera and could get on straight away.
Well, that's not exactly true - Bill picked up my new camera and needed to do things on it and with it!
But I am grateful, he has done the boring bits, like setting the time and fiddling with choices in the menu.
This camera has a long zoom lens and extra features that my little camera didn't have. I love it already.
I was soon out with just one thought - "What can I take a picture of?"


Bill came first, as we sat on the sofa making sure we knew what all the buttons did.


Then I went out into the garden.


Red tulips.


Pinky mauve tulip. This one was taken by Bill.
I couldn't work out why my efforts were not in focus.
Bill explained that the close up settings are normal, macro and super macro.
Flowers need super macro.
Of course, once he had my camera in his hands he wanted to take more pictures - a few more of the story of the building site were taken to add to his files.
And then he turned the camera on me.




Cowslips and tulips in the front garden.

My turn to photograph a tulip.


I can even take a good picture of a daisy in the lawn.
Now what shall I do?
I popped into the garage and took some pictures of stock waiting to go to the shop.



We have lots of violas in the back garden.

By this time Bill had retreated to an upper room - the front spare bedroom, where he does lots of work on things. Here he is sorting out an old voigtlander camera, preparing it for sale.
This morning I received another gift - an injection in my b*m.
This was Vitamin D.
I shall have a blood test in a couple of weeks to see how calcium and vitamin D are behaving.
Dr. O gave me some sheets of printed reading matter - not really for me. It is just that if I see any other doctor about these problems I should show them what regime I am on - for he said not many people really know about it. I see the endocrinologist in May - I expect he knows all about it.
I think I might work on him to give me calcium injections too.
I was less happy to see the notice which announces that the building used by our doctors will close in October. Actually we knew that the Brighton Road surgery would go.
Now the practice will operate entirely from the new medical centre in Ifield - almost on the ground that was once my school.
Once upon a time the entire practice was in Brighton Road. I can remember seeing dear Dr Collyer in The Grange - or if I was unlucky I would be snapped at by Dr Knight.
Bill remembers them too. He has been with that practice for 70 years.
When the New Town came my family used the new Ifield surgery.
After I was married I returned to Brighton Road.
The doctors have always been special.
Tomorrow I must do some of the jobs I planned for today.
Both Bill and I have described some things today which have been listed on EBay.
Now I must get some tea ready. We had our dinner at about quarter to two.