Thursday, December 10, 2009

 

Yesterday, Today and last Sunday.

There are a few more pictures of the college girls to come - but first I will talk of today.
It has been good.
But right now I may be affected by an activity of yesterday.
It was stage 2 of our swine flu jabs yesterday and this evening there is a hint of flu within me.
But then I have been feeling below par all week.
This morning we went with Jo to Woking. A couple, about our age, had been into the shop asking Jo about things they have been clearing from parent's houses.
Jo was not interested in all of it and asked Bill and I to have a look.
They were a lovely couple and have too much to deal with and much of it will be hard to shift.
There were loads of books - big heavy books.
I really couldn't deal with them all.
There was one that I knew would be potentially valuable. It is a book of drawings by William Russell Flint.
I felt I couldn't just cherry pick one book, so I picked some others to accompany it.
How about "The Romance of Modern Mining", dated 1907.
The unusual and most boring sounding books often do best on EBay.
Bill bought a Hornby Dublo train set from the mid 50s. There is more there than in the set I bought for him at Edenbridge in July - and that sold well.
Jo bought a Lloyd Loom chair.
I have since looked up books on abebooks.com and see that professional book dealers have the Russell Flint book for £150 plus.
It is gratifying to know I was right!
We stopped at a pub in Gomshall on the way home. The man in Woking thought its name was something to do with needles - sort of.....it was The Compasses.
They had a sensible menu - meals for little people. This was not meals for children but smaller portions for people who didn't want a big meal.
The sun was shining and the Surrey Hills were looking very good.
Later this afternoon our neighbour, Isobel came round to sort out some concerns about leaving her house over Christmas whilst she is in Canada.
This put me all behind - but never mind, my energy had drained away anyway and I wasn't going to get much done.
And so now, another look back to the weekend.
We wondered what the meal would be like. The land lady of The Two Sawyers seemed to have a sharp tongue and was quick to tell anybody who would listen about how much she had to do.
Inga had arranged that we wouldn't have starters - most of us can't stuff food like we used to do.
Inga asked if we could have bread, nuts and olives.
"But we don't have any olives" she was told firmly.
Inga gently persuaded her that perhaps she could go and buy some olives!
Actually the meal and the service was very good.
We were there for over 3 hours, talking and laughing.
Once the main meal arrived Bill packed up photography to concentrate on his lamb shank!


The Two Sawyers was about half a mile from Inga and John's house.


Right we have our drinks ..... where are the olives?


Richard at the end of the table came up with a conundrum.
What is better than God?
Worse than evil?
The rich don't want for it?
The poor have it?
And if you ate it you would die?
The great brains struggled.
Bill offered "humble pie" to start with and got a laugh and applause.
And then suddenly he called out the correct answer.
I felt really proud of him!
The answer, by the way, is "nothing". Think about it.


Hooray! Ian has olives!

We all have olives.




And Bill had his lamb shank. He thought it looked like a wartime gun emplacement on the coast. He said it was very good. I had the roast turkey dinner.
Its a good life!