Thursday, December 03, 2009

 

Being in the right place at the right time.

There was no rain (well almost no rain) at 6 o'clock this morning.
It did drizzle a bit.
We decided to get up and see what the Thursday Boot sale at Ford was like.
It certainly was smaller than a Saturday sale - but then the weather forecast was threatening.

But for me it was a success.
I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.
We were not amongst the first buyers but somehow nobody else has spotted what I saw at the first stall.
Most of what the scruffy old woman had on the blanket was bric a brac - maybe the other buyers passed her by too quickly.
There was one large bowl and I knew immediately what it was.
It is a studio pottery bowl designed by Glyn Colledge. His work is very much admired these days - 40 years on.
I already have one, quite similar.
This bowl should sell for £50 plus.
I asked how much she wanted for it - and the reply was £2.
I could hardly contain myself - £2 for a wonderful Glyn Colledge piece!

Then we spent a while with our favourite house clearance man - the ordained church minister.
I bought books and some china.
Bill found a model lorry.
And I bought some CDs - a double album by the choir Libera, which I have coveted for a while.
Bill bought a digital camera on another stall for £2, where I found an OXO tin and a cake tin featuring The Homepride Fred figure from their adverts.
The camera is nothing special - but it works well. It has self timer and ability to create filmlets.
Bill thinks it might be one that came with a computer package like they sell at PC World and other places.
There were a few more buys and then we decided to go to Arundel.

We walked briefly by the river - it was far too wet and muddy to go very far.
Then we went for some breakfast in a cafe we have eaten in before - more expensive than Wetherpoons, and perhaps not as good.
We had plans to do more. I wanted to explore the antiques centre in the disused chapel.
But when I stood up to leave our table I realised I had a wee problem.
We decided to get home.

I don't know if I was just fed up with getting problems or fed up with the rain that had started or maybe I was just tired - but I just couldn't get going on anything.
Just maybe my subconscious was taking me to negative moods. It was on this Thursday in December, 29 years ago, that my brother, Robin, died.

One thing I have dealt with is a sale - not something of mine.
It is the first Pilgrims Antiques sale that I know of that has resulted directly from my shop blog.
The buyer is somebody I feel some kinship with because we both play Boggle on the computer and chat a little with each other as we play.
Yesterday I was telling her a little more about the shop and that I am doing a blog.
The Boggle - or Wordsplay (as we should call it) has a facebook group for addicts.
So I published the blog address there and people have looked at the blog.
So today I have talked to Sandra on the phone and we have made arrangements for her to pay me and I will get the masonic medal that she wants on Monday and post it to her.
Of course we had a much longer chat than when we are playing the game.

Now I can let people in the shop know that the blog is already benefiting us all.

Time to rest and have a drink. I will get to bed early.
I shall have my hair done in the morning. Then we must do some shopping - things to take to our weekend away with college friends and food for the cats.