Monday, November 23, 2009

 

Do we trust politicians? No we don't!

It rained again!
Hard.
We all kept ourselves busy in the shop - and there were customers too.
Bill has had a good week - I had a poor week. It will be Bill who boosts the funds in November.
Though the profits on my sales more than cover the rent.

I was busy taking photographs. I set up pictures from other peoples' stock and my own which reflect Christmas entertaining. I shall put them on the shop blog tomorrow - decanters, glasses, candle sticks, cheese domes, coffee pots, cutlery, silver tray and all that sort of thing.
It is a good way to get to know the stock in the shop a little better.

Bill and I didn't get out today - we were busy this morning and then Monika was out and Julie went home.
Never mind, it wasn't pleasant out there as I discovered on a quick trip out to get some milk.

We had our weekly visit from Mr No Short Term Memory. It seems Monday is Dorking Day for him too.
I asked where he would be going tomorrow and he asked what day that would be. On being told it would be Tuesday he said it would be Reigate.

This evening I have been talking with an old school friend Kay. She has MS. And what she said made me realise I ought to have my eyes on government goings on more than I do.
The present government have introduced a Green paper - first step towards becoming law - which will take away payment of Disability Living Allowance to the over 65s.
I confess I do wonder if I deserve it - but it was awarded for life.
When I did once ask about my entitlement I was reminded that I was only in remission - and of course have had cancer again in recent years.
When it goes - presuming it does - it will severely curtail my life for our income would be cut back to standard old age pensions for both of us.
It will be especially hard for people who have used the DLA for the motobility scheme in which you have a car, tax and insured and changed for you every 2 years.
Suddenly some severely disabled people would have no way of getting about.
Any benefits would be means tested and people with a modicum of savings would not be entitled to anything.
Perhaps we ought to indulge in a "Spend, Spend, Spend" regime for the next 2 years.

I have just been checking web sites about this. It seems the sick and disabled are soft targets.
But there is a fight back.
And whatever this government decided right now we assume might be irrelevant.
I am sure our MP, Laura Moffatt, will have no further part it in after next Spring. She has the smallest Labour majority in the country.
But as a lefty I have grown old trusting the Tories even less.
I guess I shall have to snuggle down with my "What will be, will be" attitude and just take what is thrown at me.
But Kay is fighting - and has even had Laura Moffatt round to her house to talk things through.
Kay is at present secretary of the Multiple Sclerosis club in Crawley.

Well, it is 10 o'clock. I shall have a cup of tea and watch the news.
Goodnight.