Monday, November 16, 2009

 

The train at Dorking has just departed.

This has been a busy day - but didn't all go as expected.
There was no trip out for Bill and me today.

We arrived at the same time as Stephen who wanted to see how the wet floor was doing.
The side of the building is in a poor state and when there is a lot of rain water seeps in through the bottom of the walls down what we call Pilgrims Way. Stephen had moved his precious juke box away from the water, but this morning moved it back - but standing on some newspaper.
He didn't stay long.

Bill and I agreed that as soon as Julie arrived, we would go out. But she had the journey from hell to get to Dorking from Epsom. She arrived late and needed a cup of tea.
And Monika had agreed to meet some people for an hour at midday.

I did get out to post a parcel. I wandered into some of the Dorking charity shops - and walked out again. The prices that the charities expect Dorking people to pay is outrageous. But then, if they can get the money it is all to benefit a good cause.
But I wouldn't pay £7 for a jumper or £16 for a thin jacket.
There are bargains to be found I am sure - but I didn't find any today.

I spent a while with my camera, preparing for this week's blog posting about the shop. I opted to gather together items from as many areas as possible with an animal theme.
I look forward to sorting it out tomorrow.

Sales have been good. The top seller of the day has to be Bill - though I will secretly share in the pride of most of that.
In July I went to a car boot sale with Ashley at Edenbridge, whilst Bill was timekeeping.
I saw a 1950's boxed Hornby Dublo train set with lots of accessories.
The seller wanted £100.
I thought it was good and rang Bill's mobile phone. Did he hear it? No, he did not!
What should I do?
I didn't have £100. Ashley had a cheque book so I paid half cash and half cheque.
Today most of what I bought that day has sold for £165. There are still a few bits left.
Bill had worried that I had paid too much - but I have been vindicated!
It was only in the shop a week.

I sold some very 1950s plastic Christmas tree decorations. In the past I would have been delighted to use them in a Christmas display at home. But not even having a laugh with Christmas decorations really makes it feel worthwhile.
Hooray! Somebody else will enjoy them.

Late in the day Bill was able to pop out to buy some plaster for his poor fingers. One of them is oozing a bit where a lot of skin was scraped off.
And his shoulder hurts too - he felt he couldn't raise his arm very well.

And that was the day. Julie tends to say before she goes home that she hadn't really felt like going out, but is always glad she did and has enjoyed company and life.
After 3 days of not doing enough I felt very much the same.