Tuesday, November 10, 2009

 

A Surprise Invitation

I'll start writing now, but as I have sausages on mash cooking I may well not finish until later. Just now the kitchen is filled with the aroma of the onions gently cooking in the pan. The sausages are venison and cranberry.
The day began late - unless you count being up for a while at 4 o'clock with cramp.
I slept like a log after that and didn't stir until almost half past eight.
By the time we had got some breakfast ready it was half past nine.

I spent the morning with books - books that maybe nobody wants.
There were books that had not sold on Ebay and quite a few that came home from the shop yesterday because I just didn't have room on the shelves.
Most of them I got ready for the some day in the future when we will do a car boot sale.
Some I have rejected completely and I will take them to a charity shop to see if they think they can be sold. They are interesting books so probably I will take them to Oxfam who take book selling seriously.
And about 13 of them I thought could have another try on EBay.

Then it was time for the lunchtime Boggle.
Actually the website we use for this word game is not permitted to use that trade name and it is called Wordsplay now.
Regulars play at the same time - Roger and I are generally competing at the same time and Sue, when she is able.
The site has a chat line and in the short while between games it is possible to share comments with players from all round the world.
Sleepy in Saudi has persuaded me to join the Facebook group for Wordsplay. Hey! I now know her name! Elizabeth.
Roger and Sue may be interested to know that there is a Julie (don't know game name) who plays in Melksham and Drastic Fantastic lives 6 miles from her in Trowbridge.
Oso is Lynne in Connecticut!

Just as I finished playing the phone rang with a special invitation for us.
Would we like our swine flu jabs this very afternoon?
So, at half past four we were at the doctor's. Wouldn't you know it - we are awkward!
We both are immuno suppressant - have fragile immune systems, so we can't have one standard jab.
We have had the first part of the treatment and must return in 3 or 4 weeks for the second part.
Apparently we can expect aching arms - but not more than that hopefully.

Before that Bill described and listed a Canon A1 camera and various lenses on EBay.
I intended to describe - but got waylaid.

Frieda came round and somehow we got talking about her roots.
Bless her family - her parents have unusual surnames. Her father was Ernest Musk and her mother was Eliza Crack.
They came from Exning in Suffolk - a few miles from Newmarket, which was all that Frieda could tell me.
So within a very short time I could tell her the names and dates of the 3 previous generations of Musks.
Frieda knows almost nothing about the lives or families of her parents. I can give her names and dates, but I can't give her memories of the people from her past that she never really knew.
By the way I wonder where Ernest Musk was in 1911 - a very quick look with Frieda didn't reveal him at all.

Then it was time for our trip down to the doctor's and also to collect our supplies of medications. I have such a big bag to collect because the sachets of powder that get mixed with water are in large boxes.

That has been today - such a grey and murky day (and wet too). It almost seemed like it never got truly light today.
I haven't felt too bad - it is Bill's turn to feel fragile and run down.