Tuesday, November 03, 2009

 

EBay work and Pop's Cottage, Boyden Gate, Kent

I have been very busy today sorting out a lot of EBay stuff.
Ten days ago I listed a lot of things which hadn't sold during the summer - well, about 28.
Thankfully 11 of them sold today and some are already on their way to new homes both in the UK and abroad - 3 items going to Mika in Japan.
There has been a lot to do - and not much monetary reward really.
When I re-list I reduce the opening bid, just to make sure I get my money back. Today it was touch and go in a few cases because during the postal strike I feel we should send things first class rather than by 2nd class post which is what I have budgeted for.
So I have been wrapping, invoicing, dealing with payments and posting.
And dealing with problems.
Somebody asking if they could change their minds about an item they had won in auction last Saturday.
Then there is the Polish person who thinks I could add one of the unsold items I have to his parcel for little more money.
But it pleases me. I have found a little niche in life in which I know I am doing a good job - the best I could actually do. I haven't always been so diligent in life.

I have sorted pictures for my Pilgrims Antiques blog. I'll do another page for it tomorrow.
Then I shall probably stop until search engines can find it.

The exciting news of the day is the birth of another baby. We have a new great nephew. Ruben is the son of Bill's sister's son, Stephen and his wife Fiona. He was born in Switzerland.
He is a sturdy little thing, weighing in at almost 10 pounds. He seems to have quite big hands.
Yes - we have seen him already - on facebook!

And now for a last look at our Kentish trip.
Today we will share our home for the week.


This was our first view.
The farm entrance is on the left and Pop's Cottage is the low black timbered building alongside the road.
It was not a busy road.
It really had been Pop's Cottage - the father of the woman who runs the farm lived there until June.


The farm is now making its money from stables and riding and the 3 holiday lets they have. Though I suspect there are all sorts of other money making ventures going on too. Farms have to diversify these days.

Every morning Denzil the goat was put out in the field.
I wish I could have seen his face - there is a wicked expression. And he was wicked!
He terrified me with his long horns butting me. I still have faint bruises from almost 3 weeks ago.
Worse was when he stood on hind legs and sort of charged me hard sideways.
I fled for the gate, wondering if my legs would be in tatters before I had fiddled with the catch and escaped!


As we had walked through the gate the pond seemed to have been covered with water birds of many kinds.
Immediately they saw us - they all swam to the other end of the pond which is beyond a boundary fence.
Unfriendly lot of animals!




The horses were friendly and nuzzled us. I think Bill looks rather wary though.




These two were huge ex cavalry horses.


Back at the cottage one afternoon we sat outside with our books and a cuppa.


The cottage had 3 rooms. One large living area, a bed room and bathroom.
I could see the end of The Gate pub through that window.


The kitchen.


Old beams.


The old French stove - which we didn't have alight.
Do you see that delightful green indoor plant above the stove?


It shouldn't be indoors!
It is ivy growing through from the outside wall.

And here we are packing up the car on the final morning.
I popped over and bought a jar of blackberry and apple jam from the table outside the white timber boarded house opposite.
It is very good jam!