Thursday, October 29, 2009

 

Quiet day and a Fair Deal.

How shall I celebrate?
This is my one thousandth blog posting.

Maybe it is time to celebrate a life - this is what we say these days when somebody has died.
Today I read of the death of somebody who has ben a part of almost all my life - Norman Painting.
Who? Some people might say.
Perhaps the name Phil Archer may mean more to you.
Norman Painting has been playing the part in The Archers since 1950.
I can't remember when I first took note of this daily radio serial - perhaps a little later.
But I can remember feeling a little in love with Phil Archer whilst sharing in the daily pusuits of this fictional family with my mother.
Oh how shocked I was when his young bride died in the fire at the stables.

So, one thousand times I have recorded my doings and my thoughts at my trusty computer.
But a blog is very ephemeral - like a newspaper; here today and gone tomorrow.
So thank goodness that Bill has been busy printing pages of Kent photos for an album that we can treasure for all time.

This morning we had a few errands - posting parcels for a start. I wonder when they will arrive.
I am sure that people are hesitating to bid for things and buy online whilst we have disruption to the Royal Mail.
Nevertheless I described and listed a few more things this afternoon.

And this morning took us back to Spec Savers. We walked out yesterday with Bill's glasses and I commented that we wouldn't be going back in for a good while now.
Wrong!
Bill noticed things wrong and the frames needed adjustment.

Then we did a little shopping in Lidl.

And now to Deal - a place that was able to surprise and enchant me.
I had expected Sandwich to be special, but I hadn't realised that Deal also had beauty.

Today I will share with you pictures taken on the seafront and tomorrow we will look at a small part of the town.





It was very windy on the sea front. Bracing, they call it!
The pier is the only one in Kent now and, being modern it doesn't have the old world charm of the original ones. But it was good to walk out on.
It was built in the 1950s.


Even on such a cold day men were fishing off the pier. We saw a fish being caught - and were told that it wouldn't be for dinner, it would be returned to the sea.
The sculpture at the entrance to the pier reflects Deal's relationship with the sea and boats and fishing.



From the end of the pier we could look back at the unspoilt sea front.
There were no shops or arcades, just painted houses of all sizes.






Being in the cafe at the end of the pier felt very like being on a ship at sea.
We enjoyed a hot drink before venturing out to be buffeted by the wind once again.
We returned to Deal in the late afternoon and wandered on the beach by the fishing boats.
I think we chose the wrong spot - here were mostly old boats and rusty chains and tarry ropes etc.
The boats that went out to sea were further along.
But never mind. We enjoyed the beach and the sea.
We also looked at the lifeboat station and Bill bought some Lifeboat tea.





This boat looks like it is active and would be bringing home crabs and oysters.