Wednesday, October 21, 2009

 

1920's bob and 12th century twin towers.

Today's weather was a certain reminder that we had picked the right week for a holiday in Kent. It has been dull and sometimes rainy here in Crawley - and East Kent has had torrential rain.

This morning I had my hair cut.
Last time Rob followed my instructions, but commented that he didn't know where I was going with my hair style. Today I told him that I knew where I was going - but maybe never arrived!
But I knew how to continue the journey.
My instructions today were to produce something a little like a 1920's bob.
And as he worked I picked up with his complicated life - a marriage has ended this year and a new partnership formed.
He might not manage a successful marriage - but he managed a 1920's type bob very well I think.

I feel different!



Maybe I already feel different because I took the first anti depressant this morning. I could see me heading back to a paralysed mind, not able to make decisions or motivate myself to do very much.
At lunch time I wondered if I had made a mistake - I felt really queasy.
But that has gone off and this evening I feel pretty good.
If one tablet can do that for me then maybe I was right to follow the doctor's advice and be prepared to lean on medication to make life worthwhile.
I am completely happy to do that for physical complaints.

I have now cleared the dining room table and put my Canterbury purchases in a box to take to the shop tomorrow.
Bill and I are covering for Hilary - who has chosen a less good week, weather wise, for a holiday away in Somerset.

And now back to Kent - Reculver today.
Just look at the bright blue skies.

Reculver gets its name from the Roman "Regulbium". The Romans built a fort here at the mouth of the River Wantsum. This river actually separates the Isle of Thanet from the rest of Kent.
We saw remnants of the Roman stone work.
Much has been washed into the sea. The original village has gone too.
Today's community is based mostly on holiday chalets and caravans.
Erosion is a real problem here - and the remains of the 12th century church will slip into the sea if nothing is done.


The twin towers of Reculver stand almost at the cliff's edge.






Most of the original church is ruined.




In 1800 the church was looking like this. And it would not have been so close to the sea.



A similar view taken last week.


From the beach you can see just how precarious are those towers.





The beach had in places been secured with artificially laid stone work.
And the back of the beach was piled high with boulders.


Reculver beach at sunset - from a website.