Monday, October 05, 2009

 

Rain in Dorking

The rain it hath raineth - and after a very dry September, I guess that counts as news!

We suspected that the day in the shop would be quiet - and we were right.
Up until the last hour of the day the grand total of takings was just £5 - and that was mine.

The last customer boosted things just a little, a very little. She bought 5 things but they all had to be cheap.
She was a mature art student with an interesting project.
Her course was unlike anything she had ever done before, having been a painter for many years. She said it was based on "concept art" whatever that might mean.
Her project was based on growing up in the 1950s in the West Indies and Mauritius. She had actually buried a box with things important to her life in the garden.
Sadly the garden has since been bulldozed and the box is lost.
Her project revolves round retrieving the box and the things in it. So, she is looking for the sort of things a girl might have thought important in the 1950s. She has arranged with the Gardens at Helicon to film a stage managed version of the digging up of the box.
Her box will include one of my little wooden dolls and a Ladybird Book, a toy soldier of Bill's, an interesting little key and a Robertson's golly.

Of course I had had no intention of much rearrangement - but somehow I found myself playing with things.
Lots of bending and stretching.
Maybe it was the physical activity that caused a wee problem.
Oh hell!
But I suppose I can count it as an achievement of the day that it was dealt with reasonably successfully for the day. Maybe that was the first time I have managed to do that away from home.
I needed to do it again this evening though - so only a partial success.
Sorry, new contacts, this all has to do with my medical condition - a wee condition!

Bill took a couple of pictures of me in my area today. You can see me wearing one of the new skirts of yesterday - I felt very comfortable in it.



In this picture I am standing by the "nursery" - dolls, toys, children's books and children's decorative china. You can see a tray of the wooden dollies on the floor. These are cleared from my own collection. Who would have thought that one would contribute so march to an art degree!




So that has basically been our day.
Dear Monika would have a different tale to tell - always a problem for Monika. She caused us to be late away - but never mind.

I think we are promised more bad weather tomorrow, which won't make it pleasant driving to Buckinghamshire for the funeral.