Friday, September 25, 2009

 

This day and meeting Ivan in Aberdaron

The sun has shone from a blue sky today. Hooray.
And I have relaxed.
This morning I spent some time doing a jig saw puzzle - honest, that does count as work! This one was a Dr Who puzzle made in 1977, that I bought at the Anglesey boot sale.
Before I can sell a puzzle I have to check that it is complete - and this one was.
This afternoon we took the bus into town. I wanted to order yet another pair of glasses. There is nothing wrong with those I bought recently, except that I have become unsure about wanting ones which react to light. It makes photography less easy - and I don't like appearing in photos when my glasses black out my eyes.
The pair I have now will not be dumped of course - always useful to have lots of pairs of glasses because the ones I want always seem to be in another room!
Yesterday I commented on a death.
Sadly, today there is another.
Bill's cousin Daphne died this week. I didn't actually meet her (I don't think) until we began doing some family history and I guess that Bill hardly knew her either. She is (was) 15 years older than Bill and therefore as a boy his path would not have crossed hers.
We plan to go to the funeral - although Amersham is a fair distance away.
In my mind, Amersham is the other side of beyond!
When I was a girl there was Greenline bus which started its journey in Crawley and the destination board read "Amersham". I knew nothing about the place except that this special bus went there.
I wonder how many people travelled the whole distance.
And now for a look back to a village that is perched by the sea, almost at the edge of beyond.
Aberdaron is at the westerly end of the Lleyn Peninsula and it is where we had lunch with Pete and Jean last Thursday.
It was just about warm enough to choose the pub with a terrace overlooking the bay.


Welcome to Aberdaron.


We enjoyed a light lunch - either jacket potatoes or baguettes, both with prawns and crab.


If you enlarge this one, with a click of the mouse, you will see why I don't like the dark glasses in photos - sort of dehumanises the face.
Pete had his own way of doing just that.
He took a piece of orange peel (part of our salad) and played making faces!
Will we ever grow up?

Um.... no, it seems we won't!
I called this one "spirit of the wind" - but then we all know what that feels like!




That's better - I got them to pose like sensible old folks.


The church clings onto the hillside above the bay. Bill and I had been to Aberdaron once before, but I hadn't realised then that the poet RS Thomas had been vicar there in the 60s and 70s.



Here is one of his writings carved into a slate.




This is just a fantastic site to rest in peace don't you think?




We walked back through the small village and over the bridge, spanning a little stream that runs out to sea in the bay.



There is a small car park, but before we got back to the car we just had to look at the charity stall run by the car park attendant.
It is where Bill met Ivan!
Bill loves Ivan!
It is Russian and has a date of February 1939 on the base.
It is mostly ceramic, but the tap is brass.
It is about 14 inches in height.
Of course we are hoping that Ivan will end up in another's home before long and the profits will have paid for our lunches.

Next time I do some photos I will share with you the beauties of Parys Mountain.