Thursday, September 24, 2009

 

Last Thursday and this Thursday

This Thursday has been rather routine really.
Last Thursday was much better!
We were in North Wales and we left Ekatarina in school and Ashley at home; we had a day out with Pete and Jean.
They have lived on the Lleyn Peninsula for over 20 years. We knew them first in Crawley of course.
I knew Jean first in 1955 - though our social lives at school didn't cross very much. Bill knew Pete when they were both apprentices at Boxall and Collins.
They married in 1962 - it was actually the same day as the first date for Bill and me.
A little later we met up again in their little flat and we have been part of each others' lives ever since.

We drove across the lovely landscape of the Lleyn - to what is the Lands End of North Wales.
We walked and talked and admired the wonderful views and the fresh air.
We looked across to Bardsey Island.
I wonder if one day we could take a boat trip from Aberdaron to the island.
It has been part of my world since the holiday I had with friends of my father on Anglesey, when I was 11. The older people - (the university students) sailed to Bardsey Island for a night and I was impressed with the tales of dangerous seas and remote islands.


And there it is - with Bill's camera ready to take one of the many snaps we took.



Do enlarge it with a click of the mouse to see more details, including the lighthouse.


There is a good path on the hills above the cliffs - part of coast guard work.
There is Pete climbing the path.
Oh dear! We spent time discussing how hills are so much more difficult for us all these days!
Now for more snapshots of us all.


I love the barren untamed spaces - just bare rock and heather.


Jean relaxes for a moment.


Guess what they are talking about!
No - not the beautiful views..... not even the interesting history!
They are discussing the various facilities on their cameras - photography being important to both of them.




I wandered off briefly and took some pictures along the cliffs.




And then I looked along the peninsula eastwards.
Bangor would be about 40 miles away.



Today - I look back on a day when I haven't done enough really.
I described and listed 6 items for EBay.
The next listing will be on October 18th. I must get a whole load of things ready for then.
Bill continued to tidy the garden.
It is full of colour still - so hardly the time to "put it to bed" for the winter.
The plants we bought on Tuesday are now all planted and look great.
This afternoon I was neighbourly and went to see Frieda. She asked if we could get more Ibuprofen for her. This is what the doctor prescribed for her a while back. She has run out and despite our nagging she still has made no further appointment to see the doctor. Maybe she won't get round to it - she wouldn't want to "waste the doctor's time".
I feel sad about one snip of news which reflects an awful lack of neighbourliness - though I won't feel guilty about it, for it has not been our fault.
Just round the corner live a man and a woman. We don't know their relationship - could be husband and wife, could be mother and son.
We have never seen the woman.
The man is rude and standoffish and has a bad reputation concerning drink problems. He has dogs around which are not cared for properly.
The woman was always at home because we knew she had multiple sclerosis.
The man's face always seemed to imply "keep your distance".
The woman died yesterday - an unknown person to all her neighbours and thus her death is of little consequence. Except that I think we should have known and cared.
I will end on the good news that Ashley has a new computer. The old one was giving much trouble. A computer technician seemed to revive it - and it was working well last weekend; but the last breakdown was the final final straw and Ashley has a new machine and a need to sort it all out.