Monday, September 14, 2009

 

Start the Week.

Another week - another page in my journal.
The week starts with a Monday and therefore the week starts with us in Dorking.
I do like re-creating displays!
I wanted to take in the bar jugs that I bought on Saturday - but where to put them?
My more male orientated section was too small and already overcrowded. It would have to be bigger. This would mean moving things around so that another section could take up the smaller space.
So the "kitchen" moved and so did the "nursery" ; then I had to move the feminine pretty ornaments, jewellery and bits and pieces. Eventually I had the space I wanted for the "gentleman's study".
It is hard work, but fun.
It is just as well I love it because I shall do something a little simimilar for Jo tomorrow.
She is away this week.
But on Saturday a lovely marble topped wash stand and a pine dressing table sold. They are due to be delivered tomorrow, leaving huge spaces and a need for a new approach until Jo can get back and bring in more things.
She suggested I ask Stephen to get out one or two of the original cafe tables out, cover them with cloths and this will give height and interest, and be somewhere to display smaller items.

Sales were rather few today - just as well with all of us wanting to work on our own things.

We had a woman in this afternoon - she didn't buy anything, but took up a lot of our time.
She looked at photo frames, but none seemed quite right.
She was very well spoken, elegant, beautifully coiffeured and made up. Her name was Diana.
Gradually she went to pieces a bit.
She is here from Canada, staying with a very elderly relative, Marjorie. She has been using elderly relative's car.
Suddenly she confessed her anxiety - the car was billowing steam and she noticed drips of water on the car park where she had driven in.
What should she do?
"My journey requires driving up Pebblecombe Hill" she fretted, " I can't think about there being a problem up there!"
Hey! what fun Google is (other search engines are available!) - I have just been reading about races and rides by sports cars and mountain bikers etc on Pebblecombe Hill.
I handed her to mechanic Bill.
She phoned a contact - also a mechanic.
Between them she was persuaded to let somebody have a look - maybe there was a leak.
And as the anxiety mounted she told us she was supposed to be driving to Devon tomorrow to see a terminally ill aunt .
Poor woman - she forgot all about photo frames.
Monika directed her to the Quick Fit place close by and I hoped they helped.
Just a little episode and we shall never know the outcome.

We are both tired this evening - lots of work and not boosted by a sale for either of us today. Shame! Sales for the week have not been too bad though.

Tomorrow one or both of us will cover Jo's duty day. Bill may not stay all the time, but I think he will be asked to contribute manual labour and help deliver the items, with Stephen, to Great Bookham for Jo.
All part of life's rich pattern.

Let's have an early night. good night.