Sunday, September 06, 2009

 

Busy time.

This has been another busy day.

We went to Pease Pottage first thing - masses of stalls, but not a lot to buy. I bought books - music scores, bus books etc.

We were at the track just after midday.
There was a wonderful team of timekeepers for a joyful end of season meeting.
This was the final of the Sussex Under 13s competition. Ten teams of youngsters from clubs all around Sussex competed.
Competition was strong and friendly.
There was lots of enthusiasm and noisy cheering.
I enjoyed myself as chief - apart from the walking up and down the steps after each race. Oh my knees!


When we got back home I was straight into dealing with EBay sales.
You may recall that EBay had a free listing time recently and I put on some things with higher starting bids. Most sold really well.
I have mentioned the gents folding spectacles in a case. I know nothing about such things, but Hilary at the shop reckoned I had priced them much too low and that the frames were real gold.
So I put them on EBay and started the bidding at £6.
They have sold today and will be off to France to a buyer who wanted to pay me £79.77.
Other items will be posted to Italy.
So, a very successful lot of sales - putting some money back into the coffers after a summer of spending.
I have 2 more good sales to come this week. The 2 Wisden annuals I paid £1 each for have bids now of £64. Watch this space!


This evening after our meal I fell asleep on the sofa. I must go to bed earlier tonight.
Tomorrow we will be in Dorking.
Now for 4 pictures from this afternoon.



The victorious Crawley team - this year we won the final competition.
I like the way the season ends with a parade of all the teams and presentations for special achievements.


This is the Horsham team - they came 3rd, behind Brighton. But the smiles and joy on their faces shows that taking part was important and worthwhile.



Jim the starter about to send a 4 x100metre relay race on its way.
He is also Jim the Plumber.

The timekeepers.

Do enlarge to see the faces that go with names I may have mentioned.
Do you see the sulky faced man in the blue jacket - that's Gerry. I think he didn't have a good afternoon - I suspected that he and Alan who he worked with were not agreeing enough on their times. And then one time I didn't accept a time he returned - it wasn't very wrong, but I just had to have his time agreeing with the position before him because the 2 girls crossed the line together.
Electric timekeeping would have sorted it out of course. But at local level we time just to a tenth of a second (not hundredths) because handtiming can only really be done that way.

Behind Gerry is Stella, who brought garden produce for our delight today.
I am towards the back, with the other timekeepers who took the winner's time just behind me.
There may be a better picture later on. Reg Hook who does photographs for the Evening Argus took one of us all - with Bill sitting down in his place. Reg said he would email it to me.

Finally do have a read of Jamie's Phuket blog today.
He has been hiking and has written a good account of hill climbing on Phuket.
There is a link to the left of this posting.