Thursday, September 03, 2009

 

Projects and pointless activity

When I get a project in my head I really want to get started immediately.
I want to have a stall at a car boot sale and clear out the stock that I don't feel I want on the Dorking shelves.
This is not quite the right time, because we just don't have any empty boxes.
All our folding plastic crates are filled with things belonging to Ashley and Ekatarina. In two weeks the crates will be taken to Wales and will return to Crawley empty.
That is the time to prepare for a sale.
But I couldn't stop myself this morning.
I knew that there would be problems fitting in stuff that I bought on Monday. There was just too much piled onto the garage shelves and it was not well organised.
So, I went through it. I found two boxes which are now over filled with things I want to sell cheaply. I have given up on the idea of having clear glass, for example, in the shop. There are 2 people already who sell lovely crystal glass and other pieces and they know what they are talking about.
I also want to cut out most of the "pretty" things. My space is limited and it is best if I stick to interesting things.
The stock shelves in the garage are a bit better sorted now.
And so I could make a start on the interesting things spread around the kitchen.
Bill took a couple of cardboard boxes of things to a charity shop.
This has taken much of the day.

But there have been moments for wasting time and pointless activities.
This afternoon Ashley and I were on the phone for 45 minutes. That's OK - we pay no extra for phone calls, it is all in the broadband package.
Ashley and I were both watching the new BBC 2 quiz called "Pointless" and we chatted away together about what we were watching as if we were in the same room.
The quiz is fun.
Ashley was watching on his computer - which is very good news.
His computer saga has been drawn out and fraught.
When his went wrong it was assumed that he had the same problems as us.
He was so frustrated he went to PC World and ordered a new computer box.
It arrived - but didn't work.
Carriers came and collected it with promises of a replacement.
Meanwhile Ashley had decided he didn't like PC World and wanted his money back.
Bill had phoned a small place in Bangor High Street.
Ashley took the offending machine into the man there. He got it back today, working - and the bill was just £40.
Now all he has to do is hope the money is returned by PC World. They seemed to have "lost" all record of it.

And I coloured my hair today.
It still feels slightly "wicked" to do this. Sensible people like my family don't do that sort of thing. But I have never really wanted to be sensible.
I can't be as outrageous as maybe I would like - I know my age and who I am.
But I would like my dark grey hair to be a bit lighter. Lighter coloured hair matches the more pasty skin of an older person I think.
The last time I did it, my hair was quite light. But the roots grow through in dark grey of course.
Today I used Golden Amber.
It said it would lighten even the darkest hair a little - and, as I said, mine was quite light last time.
But no - my hair is now quite a lot darker than it was before. I like the colour - my original colour, the colour of a younger me - plus a glow of golden deep red.
I guess we need a photograph.
I'll get Bill to take one tomorrow maybe.

So that has been today. The sun has shone mostly with a scattering of very heavy showers.