Sunday, September 13, 2009

 

Sunday is working day.

Work days are both fascinating and tiring.
But each day's work sound very like another to an outsider and therefore there is little to write about.
Of course we never consider our activities to be "work", but they do generate a small income which pays for us to continue with what is a major interest/hobby and pays towards other things we might like to do with our time.

We decided to head away from home today - we couldn't face yet another Sunday morning at Pease Pottage, although today was the last car boot sale of the season there.
We went to Epsom instead.
The one thing that struck us as we left the car was that it seemed very chilly.
It was also very quiet - no crowds at just gone half past seven.
We hoped it would get warmer and that the normal hordes would not materialise. It didn't get warmer and soon there were the usual crowds of slowcoaches, dogs on leads, push chairs etc getting in the way.
But by then most of our buying was done.
I bought local history books at the very first stall. There is a delightful book called Glorious Godstone, written (very well written) by the Godstone scout troop in the 1950s.
These books were cheap.
I did pay more for 4 books on another stall - £15. The sellers had done some internet research and put post it labels on advising what these books were on an internet site. So why did they sell me the very early Struwwellpeter for £4 when they think it could sell for £100?
I hope they are right.
I was more interested in another by the artist Cecil Aldin - he does books about dogs. This book is dated 1910 - could be first edition, could be a second. I knew it was worth more than they had estimated Struwwelpeter.
And I was right.... on abebooks.com I didn't find one for less than £200.
Hooray - our "work" might be able to boost the leisure fund once again - when I get round to selling it.
I also bought some embroidery kits - cloth with a transfer picture to embroider and silks. The interesting thing about these is that they were specially produced for HM Forces - not sure when, could be WW2.
One can just imagine the bored soldiers sitting around chatting about their embroidery stitches!
I wonder what happened to the person who had beautifully embroidered a table cloth - well, three quarters of it.
Did the war end... or did his time run out?

By the time we had completed our buying I had included a fleecy jacket amongst by purchases - I was just too cold.

We stopped off at cafe in Epsom that we have visited once before and enjoyed a good breakfast and warm drinks.

Then it was time to get home.
Home - to do more "work".
I wanted to finish describing books ready to be listed when we get back from Wales.
There were already 21 items to be listed today - 2 of which now have bids and my lace making pattern books have watchers, including the one in Dutch.
I also had parcels to prepare and payments to deal with.

I sat and watched athletics and wrote up most of the weekend's purchases. I want some of it to take to the shop tomorrow.
I feel another little rearrange coming on - I need to find space for the bar jugs.
I do have 2 days at the shop - so plenty of time to sort that out.

Tired now - of course. Must get a few things done, have a cup of tea and get to bed.
Goodnight.