Tuesday, September 15, 2009

 

Tuesday in the shop

I have wasted this evening - how foolish when we are to embark on a long journey tomorrow and I have things to get ready.
But, then again, maybe it was wise to relax and hopefully to feel fresh early in the morning.

I certainly hope the weather will be better for the journey. It has been nasty weather today.

But I was indoors for most of it - in the shop.

Bill drove over to Dorking and the first job was to load Stephen's car with Jo's furniture. Stephen was going to deliver it this evening.
I then had fun making sure that Jo's areas looked good.
Bill then went back to Crawley to sort out a few chores. The rain meant he didn't clean the car as planned.

As we watched people scurrying by, bodies bent into the wind, under umbrellas, we knew that sales would be few.
Though there have been some interesting people in.
This afternoon we got the character customer for the day.... I recalled Jasper Carrot musing in his comic sketches about how he always seemed to be sitting next to the nutter on the bus, as our "nutter" walked in.
Whoops! very politically incorrect that!
I saw this tall, quite good looking man, come in and my heart sank - I knew I would be in for a difficult time.
He had been into Rocking Horse - so I can't have seen him for 18 months or more. He seemed to be amazed that I remembered him - but his problems make him unforgettable.
He has little or no short term memory.
"How much is this?" he asks..."What is it made of?" and within seconds he will suddenly ask again "How much is it?"
Conversation like that is difficult.
But people with problems are just people and he had as much right as anybody to enjoy browsing and buying - and he was determined to buy something; though he didn't know what.
So I walked round with him telling him things and then telling him the same things all over again and again.
A number of things took his fancy.
Until suddenly he pounced on an old glass lamp shade and said that he was determined to have this.
"I am a good customer aren't I?" he asks from time to time.
His long term memory is OK and he was able to chat with Stephen about shops that used to be in Reigate, though his conversation is rather childlike.
Then he spotted the juke box.
He was captivated and wanted to know how much it would cost.
He couldn't grasp 4 and a half thousand and he settled on 4 grand.
" I'll offer you 4 p" and he laughed loudly at his wonderful joke.

We do meet a variety of people in our shop.

This evening I have been to see Frieda with her instructions for cat feeding - and locking the back door.
I have been on the phone too.
And I have played games.
Bother! I forgot to watch almost all of the programme about the choir master and the community choir he encouraged.

Right - time for a cuppa and then off to bed.
I can sort my clothes out - and all the medical needs in the morning. Better not to rush too much - we will not be away very early.

I am sure I shall write a little on Ashley's computer tomorrow evening.