Wednesday, September 30, 2009

 

Family life - here, and above and below stairs.

Today has been a family day.
How nice.
This morning, Bill's sister Julie came round.
And then this afternoon cousin Ann and her son Andrew came round.
Ann had been to see the lymphodema nurse based at The Hospice. The answer to her severely swollen arm could be not to cut the entire hedge in one go!
She has to remember her age (82) and that her lymph glands were removed at the time of the mastectomy.

We have also made arrangements now to take Ann and one of her sisters to the funeral of cousin Daphne on Tuesday - I am glad that some of Daphne's cousins will be there.

It does mean that yet again I have had little time to be in contact with Jamie and family - sorry 4 Js. We still love you and haven't forgotten you.

This afternoon I tried my new EBay system - I described 4 things ready for after the Kentish holiday. The more I think about what EBay have done, the crosser I get. Ashley and I have worked out that the new rules will probably boost EBay profits by about 3 million pounds!
I won't bother to explain - just know that EBay is not very interested in the little people who helped them get established.
He wonders if he will bother to continue.
I guess I will because it is a background basic little income which I like to feel pays for some of our leisure activities.


Another family has been on my mind today.
That is the Pennant family who lived at Penrhyn Castle.
Penrhyn castle is a National Trust property where photography is not permitted inside - but Bill managed one or two. And then once we were below stairs nobody seemed to bother about that rule.


The first 2 pictures were taken from within a corridor.
Nobody was about.

I think the first one that Bill took is just superb.







The grand dining hall was set for a banquet. This picture is from a postcard.

The family had a small, more humble, breakfast room for simple meals.
Bill decided that it looked more authentic in black and white.



There was a little maze of rooms below stairs. This one seemed part of the laundry with flat irons out, ready for use.



The kitchen was large and airy.
There was a delicious smell coming from a pan on the range. "Cook" had lemon, cinnamon and cloves simmering; this was just as it would have been in earlier times to keep the room smelling sweet and fresh. I must start doing it myself at home.


"Cook" was a volunteer worker at the Castle, just as all the others who stand about in rooms with information and a watchful eye for the visitors.
But in the kitchen she used her time to make things happen.



On the day we were there, she had her grand daughter, Annabel with her.
We walked in at just the right moment - as she got out bundles of herbs for Annabel to make pot pourri. Ekatarina was invited to join in.



The girls each had a pestle and mortar to crush the thyme and other herbs in the bundle and could add dill seeds, caraway seeds and bits of cinnamon.





I now have the pot pourri in a pestle and mortar in my kitchen. I can go and pound the herbs a little more and release a beautiful herby aroma. Thank you Ecky!
I have done the blog early today.
I feel a bit low. The tooth I broke yesterday is making my tongue feel like it is being ripped to shreds; I know, considerable exaggeration!
But a sore tongue is making my throat feel sore and my head ache.
I shall actually be very happy to get into the dentist's chair tomorrow morning.