Monday, September 28, 2009

 

Busy little pilgrims

Seven days - a week in fact, have passed since I last wrote about being in the shop.
How can so many days have passed in the blink of an eye?

In many ways we are fortunate that Mondays are busy - better than sitting around waiting for customers, but it can be hard work and we don't get things done that we plan to do.

There was the lady dealer from Belgium - en route back to Dover to catch her boat. She was hard work. She wanted to buy a little tie pin with a scarab, priced at £68......... but was it set in real gold? How would I know! Sometimes very small objects, like this little pin are not hallmarked. But the Jill, the seller, had priced it as if it was gold. I was pretty certain it was gold and I think the customer was too. Perhaps she was trying to be clever and trying to get me to reduce the price a lot because I couldn't guarantee. I made phone calls to others - unable to find Jill at home, to get advice. Finally she accepted a price of £55 and the little scarab tie pin is probably now in Belgium.
On a different level I spent a while playing "Walky round the garden" with Holly in her push chair, whilst Mum and Dad browsed.
The man with no short term memory was back. I just had to explain that on this day I didn't have the time to walk round with him because there were lots of customers..
Today his personal hygiene was very much in doubt - it was so bad, that one customer hurried to the door with her hand over her nose and mouth!
Last week a smart, slim attractive woman asked about 1950s fish ornaments - made from multicoloured glass. I told her about a big one I had at home. Fortunately I remembered to take it with me - along with a smaller one I found I still had. The smaller one was bought in from a caller in Rocking Horse - so I've had it a good while. I had reduced it in price before that shop closed. Today it had its original price on - and went off with the happy attractive lady.
And so it went on.
Julie went to Waitrose to do some shopping and came back well over an hour later (maybe 2 hours) having enjoyed coffee and cake with a friend in another shop; and no - she didn't want the cup of tea she had asked me to make before she went out.
Monika has been worried about money again. Her car caused her much grief yesterday and it probably needs a new clutch. That will be expensive - fortunately she sold a table today. But that money was burning a hole in her pocket - all she really wanted to do was go to the antiques fair at Kempton tomorrow and spend it. She was cross that she had no car to get there - somehow she would have to find a way. Then there will be no money to pay for the car repairs!

So Bill and I worked - and enjoyed it. But we are tired tonight.
I shall sort out a few more Welsh pictures for the blog tomorrow.

Right - time to unwind and get ready for bed. Goodnight.