Friday, November 06, 2009

 

So much to learn.

So, what's been going on today?
This morning I did some tidying up and made sure that my stock file was up to date.
Bill made his little set of shelves to take to the shop.

I spent a while chatting with Jamie this afternoon.
Has he helped me or defeated me?
I have so much to learn about the internet.
I really believed that looking something up on a search engine was like looking something up in the telephone directory.
In the phone book you find the number of everybody who has a phone and chooses to allow the number to be published. It doesn't depend on how many times that person has used the phone and who has phoned him/her.
But to get listed on google you have to have links - links to key words that people might search for; the title of the website or blog is not enough.
The shop blog is called Pilgrims Antiques, West Street, Dorking.
I assumed that if anybody searched for any part of that address then it would appear on google (or other search engines).
No, I must get people and other web sites to link to my site.
As I said I have so much to learn - and start to wonder if it is important enough.
Maybe I carry on just for fun.

As a result of all this Jamie and I talked about having blogs open to be found. Mine has remained private up until today.
And I would imagine that even though it is now more in the public domain only the very few readers will actually be reading it who have been looking up until now.
But it might help the shop one rate a little higher on the search engine stakes.
And we did discover that you don't absolutely need links - Mo, your blog can be found (providing one knows its name). And you have no links to anybody or from anybody. And you are not the only Mo who is musing!

Then I used the computer to chat with Inga, my college friend. Talking to her makes me want a video camera for skype conversations. We always said we would get one when the 4j's have a system man enough for a video camera. Oh how I would love to be able to see them when I talk to them.
Bless Inga - she has now asked if we would like to stay overnight for the college reunion.

Later we went to see our niece Carla - 40 today.
It makes us realise just how firmly we are now part of the older generation when people in the younger generation are late 30s and 2 have hit 40.
We enjoyed a chat and a cup of tea - thank you Carla, I am sure you had quite enough to do really.
Jane and Geoff also arrived and an old school friend of Carla's - who I remember from teaching days.
So a late afternoon birthday get together.
Carla was cooking a meal for 9 this evening.

The rain has been dreary again this afternoon - dampening any fireworks parties planned for this evening.
But the forecast for tomorrow is better.
We will probably go down to Ford again.