Sunday, November 29, 2009

 

November - no sort of a day.

This was no sort of a day.
The alarm went at 6 o'clock. We peered through the curtains - sorry, Bill peered through the curtains. It was raining hard.
Have we heard this tale before?
You bet we have!
This has been the 5th Sunday that we had no chance to go to a car boot sale.

Bill and I got some things ready to list on EBay and thankfully we have people already interested in some things.
No doubt people - dealer people, I mean - are feeling a bit desperate to find new stock.
I was certainly EBay browsing for a while.

I have played too much Boggle - saw my brother and sister in law at the top of the leader board. Congratulations! I assume it was a joint effort.
I ended up just chatting with a Boggle friend and half heartedly playing.
Sandra lives on Hayling Island.
Yesterday she had been in Dorking - and so had I of course.
American bogglers are getting over Thanksgiving - but there are quite a few very wordy people from across the ocean (I will not call it "the pond"!). The chat that goes on between bogglers is good fun.
My claim to fame today was finding the word PELMONISM and scoring 11 points.

We enjoyed a roast beef dinner this evening, watching Countryfile. I also enjoyed The Antiques Roadshow whilst keeping an eye on X Factor too. We are down to the last 4 - and the great British public have matched my hopes with their votes.

But really it was no sort of a day.
Which reminded me of a poem written almost 200 years ago.
Thomas Hood might have been looking back at a November like this one has been.

November
by Thomas Hood
No sun--no moon!

No morn--no noon!
No dawn--no dusk--no proper time of day--
No sky--no earthly view--
No distance looking blue--
No road--no street--
No "t'other side the way"--
No end to any Row--
No indications where the Crescents go--
No top to any steeple--
No recognitions of familiar people--
No courtesies for showing 'em--
No knowing 'em!
No mail--no post--
No news from any foreign coast--
No park--no ring--no afternoon gentility--
No company--no nobility--

No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
No comfortable feel in any member--
No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds,
November!

The last lines sum up the negativity. But looking back things haven't been that bad.

We have birds a plenty - we even saw a female blackbird at last today pecking at the fruits in the front garden. We still have lots of flowers in the garden too. And we have warmth and cheerfulness - many things to be pleased about. We have enjoyed walks and trips out. But today was no sort of a day!


Poor Jamie only gets one day a week for trips out - and they spent time again yesterday at The Beach Bar. The sun was shining.
He sent some pictures through Skype today.


John is on the beach by The Beach bar. This one was not taken yesterday - it was still a bit cloudy and low season. He has had his hair neatened up since then - still not short though, which I am pleased about.


Jessica posing in the shade.



Mam now has short hair. I think it looks very stylish and chic.

I am glad we are back to the shop tomorrow. I have a small lockable cabinet which needs to be slotted in. And I shall take photographs for the shop blog. We will be busy.