Friday, December 04, 2009

 

Greetings from afar.

Having grumbled about a Christmas card earlier in the week, today I can tell you I was pleased to have received greetings.
This was just the best type of greeting and the sort one does only receive once a year.
It came from Australia and was a long letter from a second cousin - my Dad's cousin Phyllis.
Also included were some photos and a small hand embroidered gift.
Phyllis seems to be an energetic and wise woman.

Her mother, my Great Aunt Mary, must have been up for challenges and has passed on that spirit.
In the 1920s it was a very brave thing to leave these shores to settle in Australia, knowing that you would never see most of your loved ones again.
In fact she was followed by her sister, Ruth, a few years later.


Here is Mary (on the right) with Ruth not long before she set sail with her husband.
Mary had seven children.
The eldest was Reg, and I was in computer contact with him until he died during 2008. Reg was born in England and my dad could just about remember him (maybe).
Today's greetings and letter came from the second youngest, Phyllis.


Phyllis is the one not doing as she was told - not keeping still and facing the camera.
Good on you, Phyllis!

I really must get round to writing some letters for people like Phyllis who we are in touch with so rarely. But it won't be this weekend.

This morning, in glorious sunshine I walked to the local shops to have my hair done.
It was chilly - but under blue skies that doesn't seem to matter.
I felt chatty and at ease with Rob (my hairdresser) and other clients too. This is such a contrast to my last visit when I was rather deep in my depression.
My happy pills are doing their job; it doesn't mean I am forever cheerful of course and I still am not well motivated to get on with things.
I am happy with my hair again. That's good.

This afternoon we went shopping - to Waitrose and Lidls.
I wanted a bottle of good gin for Inga and John where we are staying this weekend. Another customer passed on good advice on this matter.
We have wine and chocolates for the weekend too.

The clear skies didn't stay blue all day - this afternoon the clouds were back and by this evening so was the rain.
But it looks like we might get a window of sunshine for a short while tomorrow.

We are off to the other side of Hastings.
Seven of the college "girls" will gather together, with spouses for Saturday at Inga's and Sunday lunch out.
We could all go out for a stroll together if we get that sunshine.
All seven girls married the boyfriends we had through our student days. Since then one of our number was widowed and another divorced quite early on.
We feel we know the husbands almost as well as the "girls" - girls who are all old age pensioners now of course.

There will be no blog posting tomorrow evening. I shall be busy talking, listening, laughing and generally enjoying myself.