Tuesday, December 22, 2009

 

Clangers, Fools and Horses.

This evening I have been reminded of The Clangers.
We always loved them - Bill has Clangers in the bedroom!
But I guess I never really listened enough - maybe that should be engraved on a tombstone.
It was just a lovely whimsical children's programme.
This evening I have watched a programme about The Clangers creator - Oliver Postgate. He died just over a year ago.
Suddenly I am aware that the children's series created by Postgate was much more than snippets of whimsy.
The man was a political animal and his communities of characters shared his left wing views.
In one episode The Clangers were to hold an election - at just about the time there was an election in the UK.
Postgates views on established politics was there for all who chose to see it.
For example "Whoever heard of generosity in politics?" is a line spoken by the narrator.
The Clangers knew better - generosity of spirit lies with the individual, not in corporate bodies. The Clangers went down their holes, under the dustbin lids, and escaped all the electioneering.
Find me a dustbin lid for next Spring!

And these gentle creatures also uttered bad language it seems.
Well, how was I to know that the tin whistle "speech" of Clangers could be interpreted as such?
Oliver Postgate remembers.....
Rather nervously I asked Ursula Eason of the BBC what they objected to in the scripts. She replied: "The bad language."
I could only think of one piece of bad language. One of the episodes begins with Major Clanger trying to open the big sliding doors of the main cave mouth. It jams and his first line is:
"Oh sod it! The bloody thing’s stuck again!"

"That’s it." said Ursula. "You know quite well we can’t say things like that on childrens’ programmes."
"But .. " I said, "they don’t say it. They whistle it."
"But surely people will know?"
"If they have nice minds they will hear him say ’Oh dear me. The naughty thing is jammed again.’"
"Oh, all right then, I suppose so, but please keep the language moderate."


So, now we are true Clangers fans again - and Ivor the Engine too. I love that community from the top left hand corner of Wales!
Maybe I'll have the boxed DVD set of The Clangers for Christmas!

This morning I idled.
I was so tired.
I had cramp in the night - twice.
The first time I managed not to disturb Bill.
But the second time, towards 7 o'clock had me whimpering like a baby and over breathing badly.
My brain tells me it won't last for too long. But the pain of a really bad cramp seems to feel like its lasting for eternity.

This afternoon we had plans to deliver lots more of the cyclamen plants to family and friends.
We managed just 2.
But I was glad to have a cup of tea and cake with sister in law Beverley (married to Bill's brother, Michael).
She has had a hard year.

I will finish with a picture that reminds me of more TV.
I never really watched Only Fools and Horses in its heyday.
But one or two snippets are played often - one tells of removing a chandelier in a grand house, only to find that the blanket held under it to catch it was being held under the wrong chandelier and it smashes to the floor.
Many will know it and recall it with a giggle.



Here is some dodgy dealing Delboy type character with a chandelier!

Funnily enough the TV in the bloods department, today, at the hospital had Only Fools and Horses on. I watched the TV as Bill had blood taken by Lisa - and I realised that it was a well crafted sitcom.
I am a bit slow on the uptake!
Another phrase for my tombstone maybe!

Another Pilgrims Antiques posting is now on the blog.
http://pilgrimsantiquesweststreetdorking.blogspot.com/