Friday, July 10, 2009

 

Have I got it - I don't think so.

I had wanted to do another Thailand posting today - but it is not to be.
This evening I feel tired and my throat feels sore.
What is wrong with me?
I am not suggesting that I have swine flu - but how would I know?
They tell us that for most people it is a mild illness and we shouldn't contact the doctor.
Therefore the number with this flu must be greater than the statistics we hear and read of in the media.
Then they tell us that the few who have died have underlying medical issues - so have I, I guess.
So if I get a mild dose then am I putting myself in danger by not contacting the doctor, because it could get worse?
Despite every household receiving a leaflet about swine flu I perceive much confusion.
And where is your leaflet now I wonder?
I am certain that ours found its way into the paper skip!
I am actually not unduly alarmed and plodding on as usual - a slow plod at times, it is true.

This morning I tried hard to do the normal sort of things - and today that meant getting some food into the house.
I confess that just for once I allowed myself to be swayed by a TV ad - and my upbringing.
Bob Dylan sings Blowin in the Wind with images of Fair Trade and high quality and I followed the illusion to the Co-op.
We had not been in their more than about 3 minutes when I wanted to leave.
I don't object too much to music playing, especially if it is Bob Dylan. But Co-op Radio blared out noise to the old folks of Tilgate shopping in the store. Surely nobody wanted to hear it.
The aisles were cramped and I soon realised that prices were higher than I am accustomed to.
So, we abandoned ship -or shop!
We went to Lidl and then to Asda and felt reasonably satisfied.

This afternoon I wrapped - I had 7 items finishing on EBay and all 7 sold. I don't often get 100% success.
I need not have wrapped 2 that I did - the buyer is a regular local man, who comes to collect. He bid right at the last minute.
Another local person had already contacted and asked that if she were the winning bidder then could she collect.

Another success was with my new blender. I made water melon shake. And it was as good as any I had in Thailand - though I didn't add crushed ice. I could have done - the machine will serve up crushed ice.
I enjoyed the shake with a prawn and ginger dish and rice - a bit Thai like.
It was a satisfying meal.

Satisfying too to watch the cyclists as we ate - climbing and climbing to the highest point in Andorra.
We were pleased that Lance Armstrong didn't get to don the yellow jersey.
Strange, we all admired him so after his amazing come back after cancer.
But now we are not sure why he is racing - is there nothing else in his life?

And so to bed soon.
I must get up in the morning and pack the things I need for one night away.
We will be in Wiltshire with Roger and Sue.